[To Do] Student assignment comments should appear in Teacher activity To-Do stream

I would like to see this idea open for voting again. Our organization is new to Canvas 2015-16. We are just now figuring this out.

When a student makes a comment on an assignment, it does not appear in the "To-Do" stream unless the student resubmits. I would like to see student comments in the "To-Do" stream so that I don't miss feedback opportunities with students.

I do not want to have to search notifications for something I need to do.

======Student assignment comments should appear in Teacher activity To-Do stream

Here is the original idea from Melody:

Student assignment comments should appear in Teacher activity To-Do stream,

• just like student responses to conversations & discussions, and
  • just like instructor comments display for students in their stream.

Consistency across tools in one system is important so users can appropriately anticipate functionality. Any returning comments by the student should be presented in like fashion to the Teacher’s To-Do Stream.

• Instructors should not have to go looking for student comments daily, just in case.
  • When Teachers miss a student’s return comment/question, it can cause confusion, hurt, and trust issues between student/teacher.
  • By default, teachers need to see comment notices in the same place as students – in their right side To-Do stream.
  • I’d like to try again, because Comments are an extremely important tool.

Melody Brake

Colorado State University

Added to Theme

29 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

85738_pastedImage_0.pngpastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission,  @lisa_ragland ​  We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for any insight.

Since archived ideas can be re-submitted, your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers who you think would be supporters, as well.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. April 6, 2016 - Wed. July 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

admin_brake
Community Participant

Instructors' workflow will really benefit from this improvement!

And consistency is essential for users to rely on a system. Let's make this match other functionality in Canvas.

Melody Brake - Colorado State U

lisa_ragland
Community Novice

I agree, Melody! I would be glad not to check Recent Canvas notifications to find student comments.

silverj
Community Member

Similar topic open for voting here:

pwalsh
Community Novice

Yes, please! I get a list of comments left for me in my digest, but if the student has resubmitted the assignment then I've already seen the comment and it's double the work. If I ignore the comments in my digest I miss something.

I would dearly love to see comments students leave in my activity stream or to choose which courses should have that appear.

Jeff_F
Community Champion

As Panda's cannot show a thumbs up very well.... 

Panda

Here is a high five for this idea...

Chilled out panda.jpg

lisa_ragland
Community Novice

Thank you, Jeff! Love the panda! Awesome!!!!

lisa_ragland
Community Novice

Great idea for the choice! If an additional choice could be made to have additional discussion forum comments come back to the activity stream I would appreciate that too!

asmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Would love to see this added to the list of activities within "Notification Preferences"