Message Students From Grades

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. July 6, 2016 - Wed. October 5, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I would like to resurrect this idea started by Joe Russo and Tamara, and supported by 19 teachers. Having the ability to email each student from the grades area in Canvas allows an instructor to quickly and efficiently email a select group that may be behind on assignments, missing dues dates, or otherwise need attention.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28) 

22 Comments
kona
Community Champion

This would be a beneficial feature! I missed it the first time around - - but would definitely vote for it this time!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for submitting this feature idea! Learn more about the feature idea process and how to champion your idea.

Your feature idea will be open for vote from Wed. July 6, 2016 - Wed. October 5, 2016.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. July 6, 2016 - Wed. October 5, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

joeso
Community Novice

Please add this feature as well.

Community Member

We need this feature, if we have to send an email to 3 different classes, we have to copy and paste the email 3 times because we cannot email the three classes at a time. The emails of Canvas needs a lot of work. If not willing to do this, at least explain how to download the emails so we can create a gmail list that is more efficient in the organization.

Searching older emails is also a nightmare.

craigch
Community Novice

I have also experienced an issue with uploading more than one attachment into assignments. It seems to only allow one attachment per assignment. Has anyone found a work around for this?

andrew_starnes
Community Novice

This is a great idea. I would use it for sure. It would be great if you could select certain students instead of just messaging certain student who did or did not submit. Check out a similar comment idea here - " modifiedtitle="true" title="Default Comment

It is similar in the sense that you would be able to assign a default comment from the grade book. If a student has their notifications set for "notify me right away" they would get an email with the default comment that was left by the teacher. This would be most often used when entering zeros as a default grade. The default comment would say something like "Please submit by the deadline for a chance to earn credit".

dwoodman1
Community Novice

This is  a no-brainer!

matthew_roberts
Community Participant

It would also be nice to have more tools for emailing all students who fit a class level criteria. Like all who are missing x number of assignments, or all who have a grade of A,F, what have you.

jlmiller
Community Novice

Simply adding a column with the student emails next to their names would be GREAT! (preferred)