Student's Course Analytics Visible via Grades, in addition to People

(1)

To the best of my understanding, the only way a student can view their 'Analytics' in any course is by:
  1. Clicking on 'People'
  2. Clicking on their name in the course roster
  3. Clicking on the  'Analytics' button

In K-12, I currently (and highly) recommend that all our teacher users hide 'People' in their course navigation menus because it most frequently serves as a distraction to students who end up looking at their peers' avatars, etc. instead of focusing on the academic task(s) at hand.

Obviously, this guidance runs counter to our desire to coach students to track their own progress in blended learning environments.

Therefore, I propose that the student's 'Analytics' button be duplicated in the student's 'Grades' interface at the course level. If that were the case, students would be less likely to miss out on course level analytics in instances in which 'People' has been hidden in the course navigation menu.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

6 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi ssimpso4​, and thank you for suggesting this feature idea.

Some very limited analytics are available to students from the Grades page, but I know you are asking for more to improve student meta-cognition.

I did not find any current ideas similar to yours, so I am going to recommend that your idea open for voting during the next voting period.

In the meantime you can learn more about the voting process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

KLM

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. July 6, 2016 - Wed. October 5, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

kcorp
Community Explorer

This would be a great student self-tracking tool!!!

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

205297_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea will remain in the open voting forum as an idea related to Priority: Analytics 2: Teacher & Student

*Being a related idea does not guarantee it is slated for development, instead it indicates that the idea is related to the overall scope and is being used to inform the process.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Hi Everyone - Since (old) Student Analytics will not be built out further, Instructure's Product Team decided to archive this idea. Thank you for your contributions!