Indent Modules in iOS APP

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. October 5, 2016 - Wed. January 4, 2017  Learn more about voting...

Jennifer Leigh GrayIn the desktop version, modules have indentations to show topics and sub-topics within modules. I would love this organizational feature on the iOS app. Jennifer Leigh Gray posted this earlier, but it did not gain traction.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8692-canvas-by-instructure-release-notes-ios-315 .

21 Comments
jlg65
Community Participant

Thanks  @hardinm ​ for bringing this issue up again! Yes, I'd love to see something implemented for all mobile apps as I'd indicated in a previous idea. . Let me know when it is open for voting.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for submitting this feature idea! Learn more about the feature idea process and how to champion your idea.

Your feature idea will be open for vote from Wed. October 5, 2016 - Wed. January 4, 2017.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. October 5, 2016 - Wed. January 4, 2017.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

bkraus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Actually, guess what? I actually just did this last night! Modules is getting an overhaul, and when that ships, so will this! (Probably going to be v3.16 of the iOS app).

jlg65
Community Participant

Hooray!!

Deactivated user​ - Will it roll out to Android at the same time?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hey Deactivated user​ - Can you share any details about the modules overhaul??​

bkraus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Sure can!

So. There is this new feature coming out for modules, and I'm clear to talk freely of it I'm sure because it was announced at a CanvasCon a number of weeks ago, and that is called "Mastery Paths" - the ability to conditionally release assignments based on the grade that a student receives on an assignment. Mobile needed to update our modules implementation so that we had that feature as well - (who wants modules broken on mobile?? Not us!)

Our modules code has aged a little, and to make it easier on us as we bring modules into Teacher app, we decide to give the modules code a facelift at the same time. Some side effects of that, is caching of the modules and their items. The other being a chance to freshen up the UI. It now looks quite a bit cleaner, and while we were at it, we just implemented the indentation as well. Some may be concerned about the screen real estate on small phones - module item titles now are wrapping lines instead of truncating, so you can see the whole title.

Anyways, we are pushing to get this out very soon, hope ya'll like it!

bkraus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

That I can not speak for - I doubt it. This happening on iOS was a side effect of us giving the code a facelift. I'll have a chat with the android guys and see what can be done about it!

lmd5adm
Community Contributor

Will this also fix the double navigation we see in the iOS app for module items that are LTI launches?  (It does not work this way in the Android and we want the Android behavior.)  We are seeing a large number of students who will not utilize the iOS App because our online courses utilizes the LTI launches into our CMS.  Basically each page is a module item for the external tool.  We get a double navigation in iOS.  What makes it even worse is that the one navigation is broken and the students have to go out if they hit it and come back into the module and then remember which navigation items NOT to select.  They would just rather view it on the browser on their device.

bkraus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I don't quite follow what you mean by double navigation? Can you expound?