[Notifications] Make inbox rights a user level setting

It would be nice if Canvas administrators had access to a user setting that would disable the users ability to post new inbox messages or respond to messages they receive.

15 Comments
jch5251
Community Contributor

It would be useful to have the option to disable the Inbox on a course-level, for any user with the "Teacher" role in a course to control. (As a toggle option in the Course - Level Settings.) That way, the Inbox feature could be turned off for individual classes, that do not want students to be able to access it.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi justjoe

Yes, from a risk-management perspective I would like to see more granular control of the Inbox at both the course and the account levels.

I have supported this idea.

KLM

brian11
Community Novice

I want to limit students to conversations with the teacher only. 

rebecca_goldswo
Community Novice

This is exactly what we'd like to see here too! We have large courses where students are asked to write to a role-based account in the first instance if they need assistance; this is explained in their course materials and orientation but the Canvas Inbox isn't set up this way and we end up having students bulk emailing all teaching staff associated with a course and they either don't get responded to or get multiple responses, and the teaching staff don't know who has responded, if anyone. Being able to turn off the inbox for those courses would be fantastic!

biggerst
Community Novice

I agree. I have two main issues: students ask about test questions and include the correct answer which then is available to the entire class and they send me messages that include personal information that they do not realize everyone can see. I would actually like to disable the Inbox since it also facilitates students not checking their campus email. It would be a more useful function if it just connected directly to campus email without making the comment available to the entire class.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi justjoe

This capability already exists in Canvas, although perhaps not as flexibly as some might desire.

The following two permissions can be set based on user roles in the Admin area under the Permissions page.

263562_pastedImage_1.png

I am not a fan of turning off access to communication tools, but it can be done.

Kelley

CLandry
Community Member

It would be great if this could be restricted at that course level, rather than in permissions. If you have a course used for department information & not actual course work, it would be a nice feature to restrict students from sending messages (often accidental) to a the course.

RobDitto
Community Champion

CLandry, at our institution we accomplish that by placing informational or special courses in a sub-account where the two course-level "Send Messages" permissions for students that  @kmeeusen  mentioned are disabled.

To move a course to a sub-account, an admin can either edit course settings or perform a courses.csv SIS Import specifying the target "account_id" (sub-account SIS ID).

spaethm
Community Member

The question remains whether admins can prevent the use of class participants from initiating emails to the entire class, including excluding the admin from correspondence? These controls are possible on D2L, Blackboard/Moodle, TRACS, OnCourse and other course webs.

alaina_burr
Community Member

We need to deactivate messaging for individual students instead of doing it for the whole school.  Some students are using the messaging in in appropriate ways.  Can you add an individual deactivation option?