Choose Custom Thumbnail (Poster Image)

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Hey all,

Something we're coming across as a program is that when we load our videos to ARC, we're thrilled that we can see real time analytics. The biggest hang up for us right now is that the screengrab that is presented to students before playing the video happens to be ones that make us look similar to zombies or angry people (ridiculous faces). Any talk or hints at customizable screenshots or video covers in the very near future? Anyone else having this?

We read through the release notes that the video image is pulled directly from the middle of the video loaded. Any solutions or work-arounds are totally welcomed! Thank you!

@tcobly ‌

11 Comments
tdarrow
Community Contributor

This is the only downside of us using Arc for our video lectures in our online classes. I caught two instances where the screengrab captured the instructor with his eyes half-closed.

rglidden
Community Novice

If the screen shot pulled from the beginning, that would work. Or if we could choose the image.

Several faculty echoed the following, "When I upload my videos to Canvas, the opening still seems to come from the most unflattering screen shot in the entire video.  I start smiling and I end smiling, but the video usually pulls up an image that looks like I am angry or something. Is there a way I can choose the shot that starts the video. It may seem conceited, but I don't think the opening still of the video looks like something I would want to watch if I were a student. However, the videos themselves are just fine."

eellis1
Community Member

I don't think it's conceited at all! It's really a part of professionalism and having our videos look the best, right? A screengrab of me with my eyes rolling back or my eyes in mid-blink hardly helps me look like an educator, though it would make for a hysterical meme Smiley Happy 

thaddeus_morris
Community Novice

Same issue here. I love ARC, but having randomly generated thumbnails looks pretty sloppy. I like to use the thumbnail to identify the content of the video. 

eellis1
Community Member

UDPATE--if you have a cover photo on your YouTube video, Arc will bring that over as well! YES! #presenting to win

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I think these Release Notes may help to answer your question: Arc Release Notes (2017-12-05).

eellis1
Community Member

FINALLY! Yes! 

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Just to complete the circle on this...the Guide for this capability can be found here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13747-50736820150  This is for original video content only...not for YouTube videos that you have added into your own Arc library.

rsasso
Community Contributor

Question on the thumbnail...does anyone have a suggested image size to use for the thumbnail? Is it roughly the same size as the image used on the Canvas Dashboard for course cards (262 pixels wide by 146 pixels high)?

Thanks!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New