[New Quizzes] Change size of fill-in blank answer space

It would be great to change the size of the fill-in blank answer spaces instead of the small size that is there for one or two words. We are trying to mimic the PARCC test (text extraction) and it would be nice if there was room to copy and paste a whole sentence and for the student to be able to see the whole sentence after they paste it. 

Thank you for your consideration.

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

16 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @melanie_wiscoun  

This is an idea that has floated around a few times in the past. This is an idea I support because I use the  FIB item type for spelling items, and often the term(s) are longer than the answer field which makes it hard for students to verify that their response is correctly spelled.

Canvas is currently in the midst of a large quiz refactor project, Priority: Quizzes.Next. I recommend that you add your feedback about the need for such a change there and also keep abreast of the coming changes. In fact, another round of Quizzes Next Beta testing is getting ready to start, and you can sign up to participate here: Quizzes.Next Beta | Phase II  Be the first one on your block to get a sneak peek!

I hope this helps, and you just got your first vote.

KLM

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Any idea for features that bring Canvas closer to the testing environments offered by individual states and consortiums (like PARCC) should be applauded and promoted. This is why the idea, Strengthen Canvas Import Ability with QTI Files

is up for vote too. I hope that Instructure is incorporating all the great ideas for features—mainstream and cutting edge alike—in its #quizzes.next_new‌ build.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@zorgn2009 ‌, I hope you will add your feedback regarding the character limit currently imposed to this idea. As written, the idea asks that students be able to input entire sentences into the field, and implicit in that request is a higher allowed character count. Your feedback will help flesh out the idea!

zorgn2009
Community Novice

Stefanie, of course I will. But I still believe the idea is different. Not about students being able to input entire sentences in the field, they can do it now. It is all about the size of the field, for the students to see those sentences. However, even if the size of the field is changed, the restriction on the number of characters might remain.

>Вторник, 27 июня 2017, 14:55 +03:00 от Stefanie Sanders <instructure@jiveon.com>:

>Canvas Community

>You have been mentioned

>by Stefanie Sanders in Change size of fill-in blank answer space in Canvas Community - View Stefanie Sanders's reference to you

zorgn2009
Community Novice

Well, to make it clear:) As part of the suggestion about changing the size of the field, it is important to cancel the limit on the amount of characters. Anyway, I have voted for the idea 

Вторник, 27 июня 2017, 14:55 +03:00 от Stefanie Sanders <instructure@jiveon.com>:

>Canvas Community

>You have been mentioned

>by Stefanie Sanders in Change size of fill-in blank answer space in Canvas Community - View Stefanie Sanders's reference to you

strotter360
Community Member

This is still open from 2017?! Please do this ASAP. My test won't really work without it being a larger field. My students need to be able to see a full line of text. What is the point of being able to type in a sentences if the student can't read through it for errors before they submit?! (That being said, do not shorten the number of characters! Just expand the box. Why is it even locked like that?)

sharp_burridge
Community Novice

Just wondering if this has been done? We are in the midst of preparing for a test and it would be really helpful if we can change the size of the answer space.

rislis
Community Champion

communityteam‌ - Are you able to provide us with an update? Our world language teachers are wondering about this:

339666_pastedImage_1.png

Text copied and pasted looks identical to me - even at the end, where there could potentially be an additional space.

El se llama Juan. A el le gusta pasar tiempo con amigos.

El se llama Juan. A el le gusta pasar tiempo con amigos.

@larmyr ‌

mic2408212
Community Novice

Regarding the question of allowing larger response fields, has this been implemented?  Seeing only a short part of a full answer response is difficult and irritating for students as they try and put in things like balance chemical equations.

koppkr
Community Novice

Yes. If the students cannot see their complete answer, but must scroll through a small response field, it makes it much more difficult for them to enter - and proof-read - their foreign language answers. The response fields should automatically adjust based on the answers we encode.