Limit group set signups to certain sections of a course

(1)

We use groups in our school of 1000+ students to signup for clubs, grade level activities, Writers Day sessions and more by creating a school wide course that every 6th, 7th, and 8th grade student is a member of.  Each grade level is setup as a separate section within that course.  However, there are times where we would like to restrict signups for a particular group to one or two of those sections.  For example, for Writers Day, some sessions are only open to 6th, some to 7th, some to 8th, but then some are open to all students.  We have group sets for each of the specific grade level sessions, but can't limit who can or can not join.  I could also see this used in a typical course where a teacher wants to keep open the self select option, but offer different group sets to different sections. self-select group set

4 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

Another great Groups idea,  @bmarshall2 ‌! You may find the discussion here interesting:

bmarshall2
Community Novice

Thanks Rob!  I do see a similarity with the other discussion mentioned.  Making a group for each section could also work I think.  Ideally, I just wish I had control over what sections can access a group.  Maybe a drop down that defaulted to all sections, but then could have checkboxes if you want to assign to only certain sections. Smiley Happy

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

I voted Smiley Happy.  But I am also wondering if implementing this feature idea might have the added benefit of giving students the ability to create their own self sign-up groups *with the ability to also limit those eligible to join their group to a list of student names only from their own section ('course members are free to join' or 'members by invitation only')? It seems this may be something a bit different than what is being discussed here? If so, I will post a new feature idea. Thank you.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.