New question type: Listening comprehension

Idea created by Matt McGinniss on May 1, 2017
    Open for Voting
    Score17

I had submitted new feature ideas (here, here, and here), but consolidated them here for simplicity (in the "Desired complementary features" in the comments below).

Current Situation

Right now, assignment and quiz questions are largely focused on text. There are options to add audio, but there are no exclusive audio question types.

Problem

On Canvas, the options for creating listening assessments (Rich Content Editor media upload, YouTube/Vimeo) are not extremely streamlined for teacher uploading/student listening. Also, unlike other question types, there is very limited functionality and control within these options.

Solution

I propose Canvas add an exclusive listening question type for both assignments and quizzes. I added some desired complementary features for ultimate functionality and control in the comments below.

Benefits for Teacher

• Language/speech teachers will be able to more easily assess listening skills, phonological awareness, and phonemic awareness on Canvas and plan future materials according to the students’ performance.
    • Teachers involved with sound identification (music, audio engineering, military science, zoology, etc.) will be able to more easily assess listening/sound identification skills on Canvas and plan future materials according to the students’ performance.
    • All other teachers will be able to more easily assess listening comprehension on Canvas and plan future materials according to the students’ performance.
    • More benefits will derive from the desired complementary features in the comments section below.

Benefits for Students

• Students will be able to easily access listening materials.
    • More benefits will derive from the desired complementary features in the comments section below.

Additionally, if the desired settings below (in the comments) are implemented, listening assignments/quizzes and their feedback would be streamlined, more valid, and more reliable.

Related feature idea: New question type: Audio recording