NEEDS FIX - Sending [large] Attachments via Canvas

I recently took a class where we submitted projects through Canvas email - projects using all different types of Microsoft programs.  Throughout the class I noticed I could not find my email submissions for certain projects - Acces Database and PowerPoint projects specifically.  I knew I submitted them, and would not have passed this step as they took so much work!  These are much larger than my Word and Excel projects I had to submit...so when I went to resubmit them via Canvas [in a single email], I watched to see if there was anything to indicate why my files did not send the first time.  This time, I noticed there is an 'Uploading' percentage that appeared on the bottom left of the screen.  It cycled through to 100% twice, and I'm assuming once for each attachment (PPT and Access).  This in full took about 5 minutes, and now I'm wondering...did I just close my browser too quickly for my original submission?  Did Canvas not continue to save and send my messages because the attachments were large, and I didn't wait for the email to fully send before closing?

I believe that is a hiccup in Canvas.  

Suggest:

*Warn students of this issue, and to check their 'Sent' files and ensure important emails are sent PRIOR to logging off or closing the browser.

*Find a way to allow Canvas to continue sending emails [esp with large attachments Smiley Happy] after a user clicks 'send' whether or not the browser or tab closes

*have an auto-save draft function so at least emails not sent due to this issue can be saved.

It can be very frustrating, and can impact grades!!

Please look into this...it was very frustrating to go through this, and though I came out okay, others could be seriously impacted by this issue.

Thanks,

KT

6 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@kyl2173120 ‌

Hi Kylie!  We absolutely love hearing from students, so I have a follow-up question for you.

Did the instructor have you submitting your course work files through the Canvas inbox, rather than in an assignment submission?  I ask, because the inbox was not designed for this size of files.  The intent is that instructors set up an assignment and that students upload their submissions directly to the assignment.  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9539-421241972 

I would love to hear more detail about your experience.  Thanks.

kyl2173120
Community Novice
Author

Hello Smiley Happy

Yes, actually he did have us submit through email. We did projects on each

of the main Microsoft Office programs, and submitted each one via Canvas

inbox. I'm sure you read, but the PowerPoint (about 10 colorful slides)

and Access (about 308 cells and a report) ones were the two that were

missing.

I did go back to him to let him know, but not sure if he knows it's because

of the size of the files, or the intentions of the Assignment Submission

section.

He was great as far as class..but this is likely going to cause issues for

students in the future if teachers aren't aware or informing the class of

the size issue/delay.

Let me know if I can add anything else you might need Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Kylie T.

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 8:34 AM, rcarney@instructure.com <

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Kylie.

Thank you.  This feedback is very helpful.  I'm passing it along to the Customer Success manager for Maricopa, to see if we can dig a little deeper here!  

It's so great to hear you had such a positive experience with your instructor! Best of luck in your studies!  We look forward to hearing more from you, if you have additional ideas for making Canvas more awesome!

cpacheco07
Community Novice

Is there an answer for this issue? I'm having so many issues with submitting multiple files at once - which are big files. Please help.

James
Community Champion

I'm not saying this is the definite cause, but it needs mentioning.

The size of messages sent via email may be a limitation of the email system. We have a limitation of 10 MB on the size of any email, including message and attachments, and when files are attached, they are encoded in a way that increases the size by 1/3 (a 6 MB file would take 9 MB to send via email). You need to include the overhead of the email itself (headers, message, structure needed for attachments, etc) in the calculation. 

These problems are even worse when you try to send multiple files at the same time. While the size of all of them may individually be less than about 6.5 MB, it's the total combined for the message that is the determining factor.

Even if someone has their school email forwarded to another site that accepts larger file attachments, an 11 MB file wouldn't make it through our system to get forwarded to their other account.

In general, email is not intended to transfer large files.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.