[Dashboard] Link for ALL COURSES on the Dashboard

An ALL COURSES link should be added to the Dashboard.  Either below the course cards, or in the right side navigation. 

Students sometime call during the first days of the semester because they cannot find their current courses.  I believe this happens for students who had Favorited courses to the Dashboard during the first week of their school year, but now those courses are unpublished and the new semester courses need to be Favorited. When they open the Dashboard, there are no Course Cards.   Providing a link on the Dashboard to ALL COURSES makes sense.  From a student point of view, they are seeing the courses they want to see first on the Dashboard with one click access to all their courses. 

32 Comments
James
Community Champion

For a similar request from a former voting period, please see https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7176 

gnoack
Community Champion

Thanks James, I did look for a similar idea but this did not return in the search results. 

James
Community Champion

That one's closed, but I linked to it so that you could see the discussion and so that page has a related link to this page at the bottom. You might even want to head over there and post a message so it's more overt along the lines of I've reopened this feature request and include a link to this one.

jonesn16
Community Champion

I'm holding off on voting because I don't fully understand the feature. I know that currently there's a Courses link in the global navigation that gives you access to All Courses. How does this feature improve on that? 

gnoack
Community Champion

By putting a link to view all courses on the dashboard, you avoid the step of needing to click on courses, then all courses.  Really, for the courses link in the global navigation to show only Favorited courses is redundant to the dashboard.  Why not show a list of all courses here?  That is what I would expect as a user.  

In my experience, students new to Canvas do not easily stumble upon the "All courses" link in the Courses tab from the Global Navigation. 

sonya_mcchristi
Community Member

This would be an immense improvement for us as we are constantly getting queries from staff about not having modules available when in fact they are simply enrolled on more than 20 courses and they haven't, or can't customise the Dashboard any further. This is a particularly bad problem for us as we run courses across three campuses and numerous partner institutions, all of which will have their own instances of courses for customisation, therefore lead teachers at Sunderland can very easily be enrolled in more than 20 courses each year. 

scott_miller
Community Novice

The dashboard look would be consistent and usability massively improved, if there was one course card always present on the dashboard, which took people to their 'all courses' list. (courses = modules in UK terminology).

ericwerth
Community Explorer

I would like to see this feature added as well.  There are many instances throughout Canvas, and most other programs, where you can accomplish the same task using different steps (how many ways can you create an assignment) and I have always believed from conversations with developers of software that this is to increase the user-friendliness of the product.  This seems like a change that could help reduce student frustration and unnecessary wasted time by instructors/staff, even though there are other ways to access all courses.

gnoack
Community Champion

I think this is a very easy and elegant solution. 

scott_miller
Community Novice

That is what I would expect as a user.  

Greg has summed up well, our experience of user behaviour. Many people contact us because they have not understood the dashboard only shows some courses.