Moderation toggle option

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

*Ability to completely disable the moderation tool at course and institution level*

I am writing this as a use-case for us to promote the request to have the moderate tool as a toggle on or toggle off feature in Canvas.

I have a situation where by people have incorrectly used the “Moderate” tool in assignments and posted the wrong feedback.

https://canvas.hull.ac.uk/courses/XXX/assignments/XXXX/moderate

In the above example, look at student “XXXX" as a case in point. They were awarded a first mark of 40 with a complete set of feedback and annotated document. Reviewer 2 simply commented that they had "completed moderation” of XXXX's work as their only piece of feedback with no grade. (Confusing as this is not second marking, but that is another issue.)

But, someone in the teaching team has selected the 2nd reviewer as the mark to go forwards and then posted it.

We MUST retrieve the feedback that was given by the 1st Reviewer which has to be in the system somewhere, even in we have to dig around in databases and tables to get it, a record must be there somewhere.

The moderation tool is broken in so many ways. I reiterate our plea that I made at our last User-group meeting to be able to disable it at system or course level ASAP. I know that we can remove the permission to use the Moderate tool for certain roles, but this is not enough. We should be able to remove its use completely and not have it as part of our installation.

I would be interested in your comments and shared experiences with the Moderate tool and hopefully Instructure  (Funmi Sonaiya Christi Wruck ) will listen to us and scope out a better "2nd Marking" tool set and provide us with a way of removing the current one from our installations until that time.

Note: Removing the permission from the role type is not the same as this request. We are suggesting a feature switch that can be "On, Allow, Off" at the institution level. If the toggle is set to "off", at either course or institution level, the checkbox for "Moderated Grading" in an assignment creation would not exist.

Joel

University of Hull

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14928 .

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@joel_mills , the example you posted in your description resides behind a login, so Community members will not be able to view it. Would you please replace it with a screenshot, with actual names of students redacted?

jeremy_stevens
Community Contributor

Hi Joel, thank you for suggesting this. We have had a similar issue to you, where the incorrect feedback was accidentally posted. We can now not retrieve the other review we would like to access.

I have created a second idea here asking Canvas to retain all moderated grading reviews once the final grades are posted to the Gradebook: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11708-moderated-grading-history-should-be-retained I am not sure why this data is not retained and made accessible for instructors, and it would be very helpful if it was.

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2018-07-02) 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-07-14) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@joel_mills  Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @jstevens4  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed