[Rich Content Editor] Scribd previewing not available in groups.

Very simply, when you highlight a phrase in the content editor, and link it to a file type that is supported by "scribd," (e.g., "Word" or "PDF"), it should display a preview icon that the student can select and view the document right then and there.

But that ability to preview is not available when the content editor is used in a group, I have discovered.  

I'm hoping this is a simple fix.  Just make sure that the code " <a class "instructure_file_link instructure_scribd_file" is entered whenever you link a text phrase in the content editor to a file, within a group.

Right now, the only code that's added is " <a class "instructure_file_link">. 

I spent a couple of hours trying to figure this out, and finally Canvas support sent me a very helpful email that explained that it was the code I've referenced (" <a class "instructure_file_link instructure_scribd_file"), that is missing.

I manually entered the code into a link in the content editor within a group, and the scribd preview function worked.  

Needless to say, I cannot expect faculty to go into the HTML editor and paste this code. I will be tarred, feathered, strung up, and otherwise eviscerated like William Wallace (Braveheart) if I make that recommendation. 

Thanks, 

Glen Gummess

Instructional Designer, 

University of St. Francis

Joliet, IL.

3 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

GGummess‌, can you say where in a group the "instructure_scribd_file" class attribute is not being added to rich content?  I just tried linking to several group Files from both an group Announcement and a group Page, and I always got that attribute.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme