How can I make it so students can save their work in an assignment and return back to it?
You are not alone in bringing up this suggestion in the Community. One solution is to have students complete work in Google Docs and then submit via Google Drive or copy/paste their submission when done into the dropbox.
In a previous discussion Deborah Bogard offered:
"if google docs was not an option, then use a submit/then resubmit process. Here is how I described it to them:
1. Have the students type "NOT FINISHED" at the end of their entry and submit it. (That way, the teacher can see in Speedgrader that it is not ready to be graded).
2. Then when the student is ready to work on it again, click on the assignment and click "Submission details" to see their work.
3. They must Highlight and Copy what they've already done, then click the Resubmit Assignment button.
4. Paste the previous work into the new text box, and continue on. Submit with the "NOT FINISHED" annotation again if it needs further work. This can be repeated as many times as necessary.
5. When the student is ready for the item to be graded, they should type "READY TO GRADE" at the bottom of their work before hitting the "Submit Assignment" button.
6. From Speedgrader, the instructor has access to every submission the student generates, with time stamps. This gives nice snapshots into how the student's drafts progressed.
Here are some of the "Ideas" that went up for voting- one states "in development" and the other, "product radar"
Retrieving data ...