AnsweredAssumed Answered

1 Observer + 2 Students + Canvas = Confusion

Question asked by Bruce Kibbey on Aug 19, 2019
Latest reply on Aug 21, 2019 by Kristin Lundstrum

A little help for a lost parent/observer?   

1 student = no problem

2 students = a dashboard, course-list, and email notifications with no student names on them.  It's a nightmare trying to figure out what's what.

I've been an observer in Canvas for a year.  I'm not a fan of some of the interactions but it works once you understand how to click around.  Last year we had 1 student enrolled (8th grader) and it worked ok.  This year our 6th grader joined so we have a 6th and 9th grader.

I've successfully linked both students to my observer account, but now I see..

- the dashboard has 16 classes instead of 8, the card shows the class code with the grade in it; but it's mixed up, not sorted, and no student name shows so it is difficult to navigate.

- the course list is just the class name, no code with grade, no student name (both of my kids have classes with similar / same names)

- the email alerts are completely useless now because they don't contain the class code, or the student, just the class name, assignment name, and grade.  (i don't know who to yell at, ha)

Am I missing something here?  This observer feature doesn't feel very well thought out for our situation.

Please assist,

bruce

Outcomes