Ann Haugland

Pages V Files

Discussion created by Ann Haugland on Jun 7, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 18, 2016 by Beck Hasti

My institution will use Canvas for first time this fall.  Many features seem great, but I'm having a hard time understanding  the logic of the distinction between Pages and Files.  I get that Pages are created within Canvas and Files are uploaded.  But, unless I am missing something, course content that I create in Pages cannot be be easily downloaded or printed  and course content files that I upload (even an .html file) cannot be revised in Canvas.  So- if I write instructions for an assignment in Pages, I can tweak it as needed in response to student questions or confusion; I can efficiently revise it for next semester, etc.  BUT students can't easily print and write notes on it or save for reference when they don't have online access.   If I write those instructions in Word and post in Canvas, they can do those things, but  it will be really inefficient and clunky for me: making any changes or updates requires downloading, revising, saving, and uploading and reposting a new document (and I don't have access to some of the features in the Canvas content creator).  Seems crazy.   Our IT folks say that copy/paste is only option to get content out of Pages--can that really be true?

Outcomes