AnsweredAssumed Answered

Issues with Settings button (cog/gear) momentary display in IE for all users

Question asked by William Moindrot on Jul 26, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 17, 2017 by William Moindrot

Hi All,

We've got an institutional problem that we've had since day one of our implementation of Canvas. In Internet Explorer we are finding that 50% of the time when anybody clicks on the settings button (the one that looks like a cog) within the modules area and elsewhere, that the drop-down settings menu only momentarily displays for a fraction of a second then disappears. It seems that the user has to hold down the mouse button for a fraction of a second more for the menu to display properly, but most of our users don't know this so it gives a poor impression of our new LMS.

I have a video of the problem here:

Canvas Annoying Settings button bug July 2017 - YouTube 

And here are another two videos filmed out in the wild on campus:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iee2d0HmlxZBBWnr1

Shared album - Will Moindrot - Google Photos 

The problem is occurring on Windows 7 or 10 and, I have done testing in the latest version of IE (11.1480.14393.0), Windows Anniversary (10.0.14393) which has the problem.

We have raised this with the Canvas helpdesk (#0195035), this is now on hold although our implementation/success manager has said that a background engineers report identified that this would be resolved in the July 15th release. But this has not solved the problem. If this problem is shared with other institutions I cannot believe that more people have not complained about it, which might mean that we have something in our network that is causing this.

Has anybody else seen this, or does anybody have any inkling on what might be causing it? I'll paste the ticket response below.

Many thanks,  Will (Liverpool John Moores University)

-------------------

Hello,

I wanted to reach out back to you regarding the issue that you were reporting. As of now I was able to replicate the issue of drop-down menus not expanding correctly while using IE 11 or Edge as browsers. Looking into this further I found an engineering report regarding this same issue. As of now our engineers are aware of this undesired behavior and they are investigating it further. Unfortunately I do not have an ETA on when a fix will be available or deployed; however, I will attach our tracker to your case, which will notify you with an email once our team deploys a fix. As of now the only way to expand the menu is by doing multiple clicks on the icon or using a different browser such as Google Chrome or FireFox - I do apologize for the trouble and inconvenience.
Do let me know if you have additional questions, as it will be our pleasure to help further!

Outcomes