Matt Watson

Advisor Course?

Discussion created by Matt Watson on Aug 10, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 11, 2017 by Matt Watson

I'm interested in seeing how other institutions are using Canvas to facilitate their academic advisory programs. 

At our school, faculty and non-faculty serve as academic advisors to a handful of students each. As you may imagine, there is a plethora of information provided for advisors as the year goes on about communication and procedures like drop/add, course requests, and other forms. It's always been kind of a mess as far as housing information and documents for advisors, so I'd like to migrate all this into Canvas. 

Wanting to move to Canvas for this, my initial thought was to throw all our advisors in an "Advisor" course and build some pages with the necessary information and links to documents, forms, and whatever else. This isn't a real "course" to facilitate any instruction, but it seems like it would work just fine to house information. In addition, we could take advantage of features that come along with a course like, say, discussions to discuss advising-related issues together, which would be great for new advisors.

Has anyone else used this method? Should we be aware of any pros and cons of doing this? Are there other approaches--like an account level Group perhaps--that may also be effective?

Outcomes