We have 1-1 Surface Pro devices so students and staff are big users of the stylus and OneNote. Increasingly noticing an either Canvas or OneNote situation happening when ideally it should using BOTH as and where the software best suits the purpose with transition back and forward when needed/directed.
The stylus set up for Canvas has been implemented for teachers marking assignments. Despite a number of improvements it is still glitchy (to use that popular student term). Read Jon Fenton great post here - Thoughts on Stylus Support in SpeedGrader
Much more work is needed to give staff the confidence to use it and this is where OneNote definitely has the edge. If there were a way for students to move "seamlessly" between one and the other from the same location then it may be the first steps to getting the most effective use from both platforms.
Recently started looking at Microsoft Teams (via the Microsoft Educators Community) and rather impressed by what I see. I like the convenience of the one location where it might be possible for you or students to access all resources you need.
When Teams was announced it did so rather mischievously with a video that included a Canvas icon in the PowerApps collection. 3+ years down the line, there is still no movement on integration. Teams now offers integration with Moodle VLE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHlPt22nKoE if you are interested.
So I tweeted about this and got a very positive reply from Justin Chando, the Principal Product Manager of MicrosoftEDU:
So, CALLING ANY OFFICE365, GROUPS AND ONENOTE USERS, can I have your suggestions please for integration with Canvas and I will send the link to this post or collate the responses and send to him
Who knows what might happen....?
My own requests would be as follows:
- Integration with Teams Site as opposed to Office365 - Teams integration would make workflow better in Canvas
- Users in a team able to embed documents directly into Canvas - all documents are live
- File repository system in Canvas become redundant - no need to upload files or create PDFs
- Ownership of document and document access is set by the Team site and not by individuals - if a user leaves a school then all the files links made in Canvas STAY as opposed to what happens now
- OneNote ClassNotebooks set up accessible via Teams
18/01/20 Note: Since writing this post there has been some movement (pretty much on the Microsoft side if truth be told). Point 5 is possible and parts of Point 4. Still a way to go!