• Sorting the All Courses list

Many of the feature requests involve the ability to sort the information that Canvas provides. One of those requests was to sort the list of courses that you get by clicking on the Courses global navigation link and t...
    James Jones
    created by James Jones
  • Removing Missing and Late Labels

In GET THE RED INK OUT OF MY GRADEBOOK. The Sequel., Laura Gibbs  makes a passionate plea to remove the missing and late labels that come along with the new gradebook.  Kona Jones had me take a look at ...
    James Jones
    created by James Jones
  • Using Calculated Values in the Text of Formula Questions

The examples give a technical explanation and some knowledge of the browser's developer tools, HTML, and JavaScript are beneficial for understanding. There's a not-too-technical way explained before the examples that ...
    James Jones
    created by James Jones
  • Hiding Content from Certain Roles

Some people want to hide menu items from certain roles, while leaving it there for others. The ultimate solution is probably Canvas Permissions and Granularity Feature Ideas, but in the meantime there are some things ...
    James Jones
    created by James Jones
  • Sorting Rubrics Made Easy

Update: May 3, 2016  Quick Install Make sure Greasemonkey for Firefox or Tampermonkey for Chrome or Safari is installed and enabled Install the sort-rubric.users.js file   More information is available on ...
    James Jones
    created by James Jones
  • Canvas Style Guide: CSS Variables

This blog post was written in response to a discussion started by Layne Heiny called Color Variables.   The Canvas Style Guide has a section on colors and makes reference to Color Variables a...
    James Jones
    created by James Jones
  • How to Count Student Discussion Posts

Updated November 29, 2016, to reflect Version 3 The spreadsheet now processes group discussions. They take a lot longer to process since you have to make calls for each group.   If you were a user of the older v...
    James Jones
    created by James Jones
  • Course Roster Enhancements

Synopsis Add functionality to your course Roster page by 1) sorting on any column, 2) generating a PDF of the roster, or 3) creating a Photo Roster.   Although this is placed in the Higher Education group, it's ...
    James Jones
    created by James Jones
  • Looking Up Values in Formula Questions

Synopsis This blog post will show how to look up values in a formula question that can't be generated directly. In particular, it will show how to look up critical values from a student's T distribution to generate a ...
    James Jones
    created by James Jones
  • Unassigning the Front Page

Update: November 18, 2017 Canvas has provided their own solution!     The solution for Canvas is from the list of all pages, click on the admin cog next to the course that is currently the front page and ch...
    James Jones
    created by James Jones
  • How to List Items Alphabetically when Adding to a Module

Update: August 26, 2017 This was one of my early works and before I learned how to package it to make it easy for people to use. I've repackaged it and made it act more like the other Canvancements I've written. The s...
    James Jones
    created by James Jones
  • Finding user account creation details

In the question User Creation Report , Lecia Sims asked Is there a report I can run that will show when a user was added and how? Ex. I want to know who was added by SIS and who was added manually. In addition, if ma...
    James Jones
    created by James Jones
  • Quiz Questions Groups and the API

Erik Happaerts  asked the following question in the Community: Export results question group    Our students need to take a test in which both the final result as the score for each question group...
    James Jones
    created by James Jones
  • How much does the Community drive Canvas?

For those reading the title and wondering if I'm going to answer that question -- the answer is no. But if you want to see how the Community influences, impacts, or is related to Canvas, you might benefit.   In ...
    James Jones
    created by James Jones
  • Adding Login and SIS IDs to Admin User Search

I've written a user script that will add the Login ID and SIS User ID (if you're using them) to the User Search from the Admin page in Canvas.   Quick Install For those power users who are impatient, here are the...
    James Jones
    created by James Jones
  • Restoring the Needs Graded count

With the February 20, 2016, Release, Canvas replaced the number of assignments needing graded with a 9+ indicator when there were more than 9 that needed grading. No one thought much of it before it happened, probably...
    James Jones
    created by James Jones
  • How to Reorder Rubric Criteria

Synopsis This will show how you can execute two lines of JavaScript code inside your browser that will add drag and drop functionality to a rubric and allow you change the order of the criteria.   Introduction Ba...
    James Jones
    created by James Jones