• Office 365 Integration: The Good, the Bad and the Frustrating!

I was asked the other day if I could share some examples of how we use our Office 365 integration as part of Canvas. Rather than give lots of examples I'd thought I'd give an overview of the integration.   tl;dr ...
    Gideon Williams
    created by Gideon Williams
  • When is an integration not an integration?

When Microsoft decides.Slightly flippant I know but the response came to mind when I got this e-mail message today about OneNote integration with Canvas - "We are retiring the Assignment and Grade integration betwee...
    Gideon Williams
  • Microsoft Teams and Canvas...

We have 1-1 Surface Pro devices so students and staff are big users of the stylus and OneNote. Increasingly noticing an either Canvas or OneNote situation happening when ideally it should using BOTH as and w...
    Gideon Williams
  • (Very Nearly) 13 Features I wish were in Quizzes.next

Quizzes remain a challenge to introduce in many learning environments that don't have a culture of regular closed answer testing (see below). Whilst they can often save time for the teacher and provide invaluable reca...
    Gideon Williams
  • H5P - Free Interactive Content Creation with HTML5

As an ex-Moodle user I still keep in touch with developments on the 'other' platform. I recently stumbled across a post in my Twitter stream that looked intriguing: I am always very interested in interactive content....
    Gideon Williams
  • Badgr: Badges, Badge Stacking and Pathways......

I will edit and develop this post to make a more structured reply but my excitement has got the better of me.   This tweet popped up in my timeline yesterday:   If you are at all interested in the use of...
    Gideon Williams
  • Introducing Canvas to Junior Schools - Page Design, Badging, Portfolios and H5P

On Wednesday we have our second annual Canvas Day for our Year 6 Junior school students. It is an event that introduces the students to Canvas and prepares them (in part) for more extensive use the following year...
    Gideon Williams
  • Course Review, Standards and Medals

Next September will be the beginning of our fourth year of Canvas (well, 31/2 as we had had a phased launch).  I have been thinking more and more about conducting a formal audit of the courses and getting our dep...
    Gideon Williams
  • New Quizzes as a Self Reflection tool, Mastery Grading Schemes and some frustrations with the Gradebook!

We have set up a custom grading scheme linking Mastery style statements to points score in a Student Self Review form (disguised as a New Quizzes quiz) in Food Technology lessons.   There are 15 questions t...
    Gideon Williams
  • Gamifying Digital Skills with Badgr Badges

WARNING - THIS IS QUITE A LONG POST BUT IT HAS LOTS OF PICTURES! In my school we are very fortunate to have a 1-1 device model based on the Microsoft Surface Pro. All staff, teaching and support, have a device a...
    Gideon Williams
  • Canvas not making the Grade (visible)...

Having just delivered some PowerPoint training to students about making their presentations more effective, I thought I'd take some of my own medicine and start with a * bang * - hence the title of the piece which mig...
    Gideon Williams
  • ChatBot

So I thought I would try to make a ChatBot for Canvas to add to our staff EdTech Help canvas course.   I had come across a number of posts and ideas mentioning this a way back - this one in particular from Sonya...
    Gideon Williams
  • How we introduced Canvas to our Junior schools

I work in an international school with a British curriculum. I am responsible for digital learning in the Senior School (ages 11-18) and my colleague Liz Jones is a Learning Technology Manager (LTM) in one of the Juni...
    Gideon Williams
  • Choosing a WordPress Knowledgebase for Student led Digital Learning Support

We have a number of student helpers who support out digital learning ambitions by helping out at our BSN Genius Bar. The Genius Bar is run by student for other students.   If a student has a problem with their d...
    Gideon Williams
  • Blank Canvas.... Thoughts about getting started

This post comes from a Discussion created by Steve Burholt asking for ways to engage Academic staff when introducing Canvas (Welcome by the way Steve!) and the subsequent hour I spent looking though the amazing replie...
    Gideon Williams
  • Not my Priority.... :O(

Just read the priority list for Quizzes.next (updated 24/4) and to be honest, I am pretty disappointed.   Here is the current Top 15 as voted on by those in the group... Somewhere I must have missed the oppor...
    Gideon Williams
  • ePortfolio Pilot with BulbApp

Part One: Making Contact   I have had a keen interest in ePortfolios since the days of using Mahara with students when I taught in a 11-16yr school with MoodleVLE and 1-1 laptops. There were so many thi...
    Gideon Williams
  • Michelin Star Menus..

We have been encouraging departments to create engaging and eye-catching Home Pages for their courses. Here is a selection of ones shared with me. I wrote a Help Guide to take staff through it - click here  
    Gideon Williams
  • Canvas Tool Guide for Teachers

As a former Moodle user I was blown away by this resource originally designed by the great Joyce Seitzinger: http://www.cats-pyjamas.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/MoodleToolGuideforTeachers_May2010_JS.pdf so I went a...
    Gideon Williams
  • Some Ideas for 2019....

I spent some time today looking at the top voted ideas to see what issues are really concerning a broad spectrum of Canvas users.   As someone who has worked with a number of VLEs for the last 15yrs and digital l...
    Gideon Williams