• 2018 Reflection: Canvas is Family

As I reflect on last year, I can’t help but truly think – what happened? I was attempting to reflect (like, actually reflect, reflect), and in talking with the best manager in the world, Tracey DeLillo, I ...
    Kenneth Rogers
    created by Kenneth Rogers
  • CanvasCon Texas Presentation: Accessible. Modern. Relevant.

Kori Schneider and Kenneth Rogers   On November 30, Kori and I traveled to Austin to attend CanvasCon. Not only was it a fabulous conference with some great breakout sessions, keynotes, and networking, we had the...
    Kenneth Rogers
  • Media Submission Types and SpeedGrader

Recently I had the privilege of supporting a faculty member on a number of issues over the phone, and he got to the question, “Why do media files sometimes have a link, and other times have a thumbnail to previe...
    Kenneth Rogers
  • Day 6: Points for Helping

On the sixth day of Canvasmas, the Canvas Community gave to me: Six Points for Helping…   Who doesn’t like to be rewarded for a little extra hard work here and there? Or better yet, for those of us w...
    Kenneth Rogers
  • Day 9: CanvasLIVE Event Types

On the ninth day of Canvasmas, the Canvas Community gave to me: nine CanvasLIVE Event Types…   I have a lot of reasons why I love the Community, but one of those is certainly the free CanvasLIVE events. Fo...
    Kenneth Rogers
  • Why "Act As User" is Awesome

When "Act as User" was announced in Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-09-05) as an enhancement to the "Become" feature, I was honestly pretty blown away at the terminology and UI change. As an administrator in Canvas an...
    Kenneth Rogers
  • MOBILE TECHNOLOGIES IN EDUCATION – THOUGHTS ON ENGAGING ACROSS THE ENTERPRISE

I recently ran across this old blog post I wrote about ensuring mobile applications and utilities are engaging the end user and are not used just as a means to deliver content. While the original blog post was written...
    Kenneth Rogers
  • Creating LTI's to Expand Canvas

I've long been curious of the openness of Canvas and how anyone off the street can create an LTI to interact with the LMS. I think we can all agree that this is one of the strengths of Canvas - and one that I wanted t...
    Kenneth Rogers
  • CU Denver Shares Canvas Data/Tableau

My first introduction to canvas data and tableau came at the hands of both Brenden Goetz and Alex Karklins. These topics have been mentioned around my institution, and they have picked up steam as of late, so I figure...
    Kenneth Rogers
  • What Could the New iPhone Mean?

I'm not sure if you've been living under a rock, or if you are obsessed with new technology like I am, but a new iPhone (or three) will be released next week. Two of the new phones will be familiar to people and follo...
    Kenneth Rogers
  • Brief Wednesday Thoughts

It's pretty late here at the Spy Headquarters...and chow time will come early in the morning. But before I do anything else, I wanted to do a brief brain dump from today. I plan on more detailed blogs in the future, b...
    Kenneth Rogers
  • Nudge

I loved attending Hilary Scharton's session on how Instructure is approaching artificial intelligence and how this can impact education (the official session title was "The Canvas of the Future - Artificial Intelligen...
    Kenneth Rogers
  • Conversation on...Search?

On day two of instcon I stopped by the Community Booth and chatted with the one and only Stefanie Sanders. Yes, she had me create my own mock-up for a new Community home page (Community Home - Submit your own), but th...
    Kenneth Rogers
  • Thoughts on #canvasintel17

It's no agency secret - I think the Canvas Intel Exchange is pretty awesome. When I was approached by "The" Kona Jones to help organize the event, I jumped at the opportunity. I'm not sure why she asked me, although I...
    Kenneth Rogers
  • Will iOS 11 Screen Recording Help Education?

I have to admit - I am a bit of an Apple junkie/fanboy. In a past life, I was lead on mobile initiatives for a private university of 9,000 students, so I had test devices where I would install beta builds as they beca...
    Kenneth Rogers
  • Reaching Everyone in their Education

I was recently browsing the internet for random quotes or facts to put put on the backside of some personal business cards. I found interesting information such as "76% of MOOC attendees are male." (Chronicle of Highe...
    Kenneth Rogers
  • Why InstructureCon?

I have been working in Higher Ed for about 13 years or so (most of it in Instructional Technology of some sort). I have been fortunate enough to go to many, many conferences over the years. I have spoken at conference...
    Kenneth Rogers
  • A Parent's Perspective on Mobile Initiatives

I have been working in Higher Education for twelve or thirteen years now. I can remember using a VCR to record videoconferencing sessions, and now we have SaaS technologies for remote learners around the globe. I reme...
    Kenneth Rogers