• Gradebook Dismay: The Thoughtless Tyranny of Red Ink

Unable to find a solution, I propose the following: Roll Missing label in Gradebook back to Beta  Last week I received inexplicable (at first) emails from students worrying about how the class was going. For ex...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • A Flipgrid Playground for the Canvas Community

So, I am finally getting around to actually USING Flipgrid in my classes this semester... but it's also totally new to me, and I'll be learning as I go. Based on all the incredibly positive reports I've heard from oth...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • Update on New Google Sites: Happy!

CROSSPOSTED. Updates will appear at Teaching with Canvas blog.  And no, this is not really a post about Canvas per se... it's a post about a great tool to use to fill a gap in the Canvas tool ecosystem: if you wa...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • #TotalCoLearner: Week 10. Getting rid of grades.

For #TotalCoLearner this week, I want to reflect on some thoughts that came together as a result of preparing my presentation for Can*Innovate (I want to write up a post about the conference too -- which was FABULOUS ...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • Let's Talk about Grading (3): Microassignments and Completion-Based Grading

In my first posts in this series I gave an overview of my rejection of punitive "bad" grades and also my rejection of so-called "good" grades. In this post, I will provide an overview of my solution to these prob...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • You really CAN play Twine games in Canvas: Step by Step

This morning I wrote up a bunch of Tech Tips for my students about using Twine to create interactive, non-linear stories that they could publish in their blog posts or webpages... and then of course I got curious abou...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • Fall 2017: Story of a Blog Network (2): live streams in Canvas

Here's an update on yesterday's post: it's now Day 2 of Week 0 (the week before classes officially start)... and there are already 15 blogs up and running. So, I set up the first iteration of the Blog Directory at my ...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • Tools and Systems: Thoughts on the Future of Canvas

I have been informed by the Community Managers that my opinions here have crossed a line that violates the Community Guidelines. It was not my intent to be rude or disrespectful, but I understand that when you bl...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • Brainstorming for InstructureCon Remote Control :-)

I'm creating this blog post as a kind of notepad / placeholder for sharing ideas about "remote control" participation at InstructureCon and how to build connections between people participating remotely and people who...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • Pinterest in Canvas

I'm a huge fan of Pinterest, one of the ways I use it for my classes is to create a Board for each class each semester where I pin the stories in my students' projects. The projects are up and running now, so here are...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • Mad Canvas Skills and Google Sites Javascripts: whoo-hoo!

So I had a huge ... HUGE ... Google Sites breakthrough this weekend, and it is all thanks to Canvas. I figured out that I could use the same workaround to make javascripts run in Canvas (without special admin permissi...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • Let's Talk about Grading (9): Book Chapter Draft

GLADLY WELCOMING FEEDBACK: I just sent off my chapter to the editor, new and improved thanks to reader feedback; the revised version is below. And I'm still very glad for comments, questions, or suggestions...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • Attention-Policing and Online Proctoring: Thoughts on a Study

Excerpts from my post got quoted in Inside Higher Ed! You can read that article here: Online Students Multitask More. Also, I have to note that the discussion here at the Community is more encouraging because peo...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • Let's Talk about Grading (8): Feedback versus Grades

My last blog post was about emphasizing work, not grades:  The WORK, not the Grade. In that post, I tried to show that grades are harmful to student work because the emphasis on grades teaches students to ca...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • GET THE RED INK OUT OF MY GRADEBOOK. The Sequel.

UPDATE James-the-API-Miracleworker has done it: he wrote a script to REMOVE missing and/or late labels. You can find all the details here, including very clear instructions for how to run the script: REMOVING MISSIN...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • Let's Talk about Grading (7): The WORK, not the Grade

Wow, between the hectic start-of-semester and then being out of town for a week in Austin, I haven't blogged here since back in January. But now I'm back home for a few weeks, and working hard on the un-grading book c...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • Curriculum Questions... and, yes, the power of random!

Today's post is related specifically to events on my campus, but I hope it can have a general message for other educators here at the Community. And while I start off talking about curriculum issues in general, I shar...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • 2018 and the Miracle Christmas

What was your greatest accomplishment in 2018, or what was something you did that made you feel especially proud? I COPED. Okay, yeah, I know: everybody is always coping... but this past year presented me with harder...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • Using Tools Beyond Canvas: The Students Approve

With effort, I can develop new skills.   Last week was the "Orientation Week" in my classes, and one of the assignments the students complete at the end of the week is a blog post with their thoughts about the k...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs
  • Let's Talk about Grading (6): Un-Grading and Co-Learning

Well, the first week of classes is over: it was hectic-busy like always, but a happy success. If you want to see what my students are up to, you can check out the blog stream in my classes: Myth.MythFolklore.Net: Myth...
    Laura Gibbs
    created by Laura Gibbs