Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adam_marshall

Canvas, LaTeX and MathJAX

Jump to solution

We are servicing complaints from a number of departments about the inaccessibility of any LaTeX equations entered into the Canvas HTML page editor (and similar). The LaTeX is rendered as an inaccessible image. These departments are refusing to use Canvas because of this.

I wondered if anybody else has similar issues and, if so, would they join me in lobbying Instructure to add MathJax to Canvas so the LaTeX output would be accessible?

Adam

21 Replies

Thank you, @Nancy_Webb_CCSF. Unfortunately, when I follow your link, I got the error message, "An invalid set of parameters has been specified in the url."

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

Sorry @mho - looks like there was an extraneous "s" at the end of the url.

Try this:  https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructional-Designer/Best-way-to-add-LaTeX-equations/m-p/175131

ys4

I found the equation editor under Canvas very buggy and I wasted countless hours using it for quizzes.  I thought I found a workaround with mathml [converting from latex to mathml offline and then entering the output as html into the quiz..] only to discover that this will work only under Firefox..  It is very difficult to get any help because  canvas does not provide any technical assistance  -- they instead rely on the community to solve their problems. Too late for this semester but I plan on switching to something else next semester.  It is irresponsible to put an unreliable product out there and count on institutions to adopt it broadly while ignoring the burden the product puts on users. 

mho
Community Member

The link is no longer available.

o_lakkis

Yep. My experience with Math on Canvas has been a pretty disappointing and frustrating one so far.

phillip_mills
Community Member

If you're following this thread you might be excited to know that Canvas now provides support for MathJax rendering of LaTeX equations, including inline and block mode equations entered using delimiters in things like page titles etc, though not in all things (e.g. the Course Chat)

This is a very big accessibility improvement that I'm very happy about!

JohnFabricius

Adding MathJAX to Canvas is a great improvement! However, MathJAX does not seem to work in "all Canvas text fields" as claimed in the Canvas Release 2021-02-20.

I am working to produce question banks for a Mathematics course at a Swedish university. Prior to February 20, I entered mathematical equations as LaTeX code through the Rich Content Editor (advanced view). Since Monday, February 22, equations are no longer displayed correctly. When viewing the raw HTML-code it seems that a lot of "garbage" had been inserted.

Eager to try the new MathJAX syntax I rewrote some of the questions in my bank. Unfortunately, this didn't help the problem. Either the equation didn't render at all, which suggest MathJAX is disabled in the question bank setting, or it produced new "garbage". It didn't help to import the questions to a quiz for preview, equations still did not render properly. Funny fact though, when I inserted LaTeX code in the titel of the question bank it rendered beautifully!

Question: Have the developers forgotten to add support for MathJAX in the question bank environment?

Kind regards,

John

@JohnFabricius as of 10:02:44 pm GMT, Wednesday, 24 February 2021 it's no longer working for me anywhere except Canvas Beta. I think it's been turned off. That has happened before unfortunately, so I'd ask your account rep about it.

James
Community Champion

@JohnFabricius 

There are other threads here in the Community today with Instructure employees saying that the engineers turned of the MathJax support that was enabled last weekend.

Thanks @James. I will take a look at that too. It's a bit annoying given this is the second time it has happened (turned on and off).