cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

HELP!! - Math and Jaws

Jump to solution

Do any of your students use Jaws to read math equations produced by the Canvas math equation editor?  I cannot get it to read the equations (e.g., quadratic formula) properly.  HELP!!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Learner II

Sarah, I think the reason the MathML is not generating for you is that you are adding spaces in your equations. If you type 2 + 2 = 4 instead of 2+2=4, the spaces will interfere with the math code being generated.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Community Member

Hi Sarah,

Do you have a screenshot of the equation you can share?

Is this in the equation creation process, or after it is saved to a page/other?

The equations that are created through the equation editor should be adding a minimum of LaTex as the alt text of the equation, and a maximum of integrating a MathML version of the equation after the image as screenreader only content when a page/question text/etc. is saved.

I'm just wondering what the context where you cannot get the equation to read is.

Here is a video of how Jaws is reading the equations I created using the math editor. This is confusing for students.

I have heard that installing MathPlayer will help. I tried installing MathPlayer yesterday but it would not install properly. I am going to try again.

Sarah McManus, Ph.D.

Director | Digital Learning

Education Services for the Deaf and Blind

North Carolina Department of Public Instruction

Raleigh, NC

919-715-1476

Visit us on the website at www.ncpublicschools.org<http://www.ncpublicschools.org/>.

**All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement**

Hi Sarah,

I don't see a video in your post. Can you host it on Youtube and include it so that I can hear?

Hi again,

Sorry, someone just pointed out that the PPT contains audio to me.

Did you create all 3 of those equations into one Equation image or did you create each one individually using the equation editor?

Each one separately.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

Learner II

Sarah, I think the reason the MathML is not generating for you is that you are adding spaces in your equations. If you type 2 + 2 = 4 instead of 2+2=4, the spaces will interfere with the math code being generated.

View solution in original post

Thank you for the advice! I will delete the spaces and see how it works.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

Thank you again for your help.  Do you know how to get the screen reader to read 5! as 5 factorial?