Missing captions

Jump to solution
mworden
Community Novice

Has anyone encountered this situation?

An instructor embeds several YouTube videos into their course. Some of the embedded videos display a CC and some don't, yet all of them have closed captioning if you go directly to YouTube. We have encountered this in several courses, with several instructors. I've experimented with embedding in different ways, but the results are always the same.

Message was edited by: Mark Worden

2 Solutions

I have been looking into this some more and can definitely confirm that it is not a Canvas issue that the captions are not appearing, however there is a way that I believe Canvas could fix the problem.

At first I thought it was maybe somehow pulling in a variable from a setting on the video to indicate whether the button was shown in the embed code, but I couldn't see any difference between the two videos. You can actually duplicate the problem on the YouTube site by playing those two videos full screen:

8 Lessons Learned Video

Best Practices Video:

So something is obviously going on with YouTube, but I can't figure out what. Regardless, it is probably still worth reporting to Canvas as they may be able to embed the videos in a different way that does display the caption button for all videos.

Does anyone else have additional videos where the caption button doesn't show up they could share try try and identify what the difference is?

View solution in original post

I have a video which I am linking from our district server and having the same issues. This could definitely be due to my lack of technological knowledge but I am not sure what else to try. when I play the video (using the same link) from my computer I have captions. When I play the link in Canvas I am not able to find the option to enable captions.

Thanks!

View solution in original post