cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor II

Account Role - Permissions to view gradebook

I am setting up an account role.  I need this role to be able to view the People page and view the gradebook (as well as access the search courses feature).  Ideally I don't want them to be able to add/edit/delete people or grades, nor do I want them to be able to add/edit/delete content.  
What are the minimum permissions that I must give this account role to accomplish this?
I've checked the guides and community and haven't been able to come up with the right combination of permissions.   
Thank you for your help with this!

Tags (1)
4 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

jsmith​, have you seen this document - Canvas Course Roll Permissions? I'm honestly not sure if there is a way to see the gradebook, but not have the ability to change/edit/enter grades, but maybe someone else in the Community has given this a try and has some advice!

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Julie -

I've been playing around with permissions this week trying to achieve something rather similar (in the hopes of reducing reliance on Masquerading).

When the only following permissions are activated on a role at ccount level, you should be able to prevent users from deleting/editing people, content, and grades:

• View the list of courses
  • See the list of users
  • View all grades
  • view announcements
  • view course content

I would use your institution.beta.instructure.com instance and experiment with settings before applying them to your production site. I've done that with my accounts as I try to implement some of the things mentioned in Accessing all student grades, and it's really helpful.

Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Julie,

The Canvas Account Role Permissions PDF outlines all the permissions and what each one does specifically, if you need exact references to each permission. This PDF is linked to every account-level lesson in the Canvas Admin Guide.

Hope that helps!

Erin

Community Coach
Community Coach

jsmith,

We are giving the Canvas Admins area a little bit of love (especially questions that are really, really old) and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie