cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
applem
Community Member

Account hierarchy

Jump to solution

I want to clean-up our account organization.

Is it possible to move the Sandbox Courses sub-account located under the root directory to the manually-created courses sub-account?

sub-account.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowen
Instructure
Instructure

Yes.

That can be done by changing the parent_account_id for sub account you want to move (Sandbox Courses) in the accounts.csv file documented here: https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/file.sis_csv.html

Let me know if you would like more detail.

Have a super day!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
mcowen
Instructure
Instructure

Yes.

That can be done by changing the parent_account_id for sub account you want to move (Sandbox Courses) in the accounts.csv file documented here: https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/file.sis_csv.html

Let me know if you would like more detail.

Have a super day!

View solution in original post

applem
Community Member

@Mike Cowen Thank you for your help. My original import did not include a parent ID so the sub-accounts had defaulted to the root account.

ted_curran
Community Member

Thanks Mike,

So what you're saying is that there's not a way within the GUI to accomplish this task? Was hoping for a drag/drop way of moving subaccounts. No?
Thanks-
Ted

@ted_curran ​, Drag and drop would be awesome! At this time, however, sub-accounts can be created in the GUI, but not moved in the GUI.

The easiest way to create the csv to move a sub-account is to download the existing structure in your account settings>Reports>Provisioning>Configure>Accounts CSV>Run Report.

Download the report, make your changes and then upload it as a SIS Import.  Remember, whenever you do any changes with a csv ALWAYS run it in your TEST or BETA environment first. Verify everything works as-expected, and then run the same csv file in the production environment.

I hope this helps!

Thanks Mike,

I accomplished a workaround. The sub-accounts I was trying to "demote" had

very few courses in them, so I just created new subaccounts where I wanted

them and moved those courses into my new subaccounts. Easy peasy.

Smiley Happy

Ted