cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morgan_j
Explorer III

Auto-Publish Courses

Jump to solution

I am wondering if anyone has a process to bulk auto-publish Canvas courses?  We would like to have all courses in a particular term set to "Published" instead of relying on the instructor to perform this function before a class starts.

I am not a programmer, so any guidance and steps/details on how I could accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff Morgan

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

jmorgan, here’s the non programmer approach to doing this - How to list teachers who have published/unpublished courses - skip straight to option 3 and it also includes a way to publish the courses. 🙂

View solution in original post

13 Replies
pklove
Learner II

This would be quite straightforward.  Something like:

Get the list of courses using Accounts - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation the enrollment_term_id can be used to restrict the list to just one term, and you can also exclude already published courses with the published parameter.

Then, for each course, you use Courses - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation to publish the course.  This can be done with either the offer parameter, or course[event]=offer

bneporadny
Navigator

Hey jmorgan,

I handle this two different ways for my institution. 

The first way is upon creating  the course using #Courses - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation I set offer flag to true. 

The second way is I utilize the #unpublish course‌ report and if the course is within a 5 day window of term start and has been set to be unpublished by the instructor I go ahead and auto publish the course for them again.  This process runs once daily and has caught many a course that an instructor has gone in and unpublished after we had already published the course for them to begin with. 

Brian

pklove‌, thank you for your response to my question.  I will look into this to see if I can get this to work.

@bneporadny ‌, thanks for your help with this.  Going to begin working on this in hopes that I can get it to work correctly.

jmorgan‌, Let me know if you have any questions as you're working through this. I will be glad to answer any questions I can.

@bneporadny ‌, thank you.  I definitely will do that! Smiley Happy

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

jmorgan, here’s the non programmer approach to doing this - How to list teachers who have published/unpublished courses - skip straight to option 3 and it also includes a way to publish the courses. 🙂

View solution in original post

@kona ‌, thank you!  I have some of our programmers working on the API method, but I am going to try this method that you suggested on our Canvas test instance.  This is great news!  

Just a quick update that I have yet to try what  @kona  suggested, but am going to try it this week.  I will update this post once I have any results.  Thanks!