cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Broken links to Guides

Jump to solution

Canvas team, any chance you could put the guides back to their old URLs? By changing the URL you have broken several links in every course in our entire system. 😫

P.S. Your site footer links are broken, too.

Thanks,

Lori

_____

Update: Canvas is aware of the issue and has it listed on their status page. (thank you @James and @mtutin for that update!)
I'll mark this as solved as soon as the issue is fixed.

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Lori,

Thank you for coming and providing this feedback.  Based on all the comments and kudos from fellow community members they found it helpful as well.

Yesterday during the community platform migration, we ran into a few unforeseen hurdles.  One of those was that not all community content and links were redirected to their corresponding migrated content items or locations in the new platform.  As of a short while ago we now believe that all official and user created content redirects are working.  Sometimes in the old community guide articles would be redirected to other articles and then archived.  Bookmarks to those older, archived and redirected guide articles may still not be working.  We are working to address that.  In the meantime if a user arrives at a 'Page not found' message in the new community when following an old saved link, they can usually find the topic they are looking for by searching and coming to the new version of that content.

If you have questions about this or anything else related to the migration, please let us know.

View solution in original post

27 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Hello Instructure Folks,

When is this expected to be resolved? 

Andrew.

Highlighted

Quickly please?  We are in the middle of training.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Surveyor II

Yes, all archive links are now broken.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Navigator

Canvas is aware of the issue and has it listed on their status page.

Investigating - We have found that some redirects from community.canvaslms.com are still not working. If you are using a bookmark in your browser to access the Community you may see a page error. However, you can still navigate and search the site. We are investigating the issue and working to resolve it as quickly as possible.
Aug 7, 08:34 MDT

Highlighted
Surveyor II

So I actually chatted with Canvas support about this earlier today and I was told they are working on redirecting the old links to the new ones and do not yet have an ETA on when they will be fixed. However, I was given a new link to the guides: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Guides/ct-p/guides

I hope this helps! I was also confused when I saw that today.

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Lori,

Thank you for coming and providing this feedback.  Based on all the comments and kudos from fellow community members they found it helpful as well.

Yesterday during the community platform migration, we ran into a few unforeseen hurdles.  One of those was that not all community content and links were redirected to their corresponding migrated content items or locations in the new platform.  As of a short while ago we now believe that all official and user created content redirects are working.  Sometimes in the old community guide articles would be redirected to other articles and then archived.  Bookmarks to those older, archived and redirected guide articles may still not be working.  We are working to address that.  In the meantime if a user arrives at a 'Page not found' message in the new community when following an old saved link, they can usually find the topic they are looking for by searching and coming to the new version of that content.

If you have questions about this or anything else related to the migration, please let us know.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi.  Thanks.

The issue with the Growing with Canvas course having broken links (and they still seem to be) is not easily solved by having users search the guides for similar content.  Many of our faculty users are not that experienced (hence, the training!)  Since this course is a key element to introducing Canvas to new users, I'm hoping for a better fix.  Any thoughts?

-Pat

Highlighted

Hi @scottdennis ,

Thank you for the reply. The link that we use most often, and that is still broken, is this one: https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/guides/

which of course pointed to the top level guide page (now located here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas/ct-p/canvas). I believe this is also the default link at the top of the Help menu ("Little lost? Try here first! Search the Canvas Guides"). 

Would it be possible to request that one link to be redirected? It's a big one. 

If you're open to requests, it would be nice to also have the top level Instructor Guide, Student Guide, and Video Guide links redirected as well.

By the way, your "Support" and "Guides" links in the footer of all canvaslms.com pages are broken too (they're pointing to the old location). 

Thanks again for your reply! Hopefully you can get the links - at least the biggies - redirected soon! 🙂 

Lori

Highlighted

@scottdennis Confirmed redirects were working for us Saturday morning. Thank you! 

Have a great week,

Lori

Labels