cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carpenter
Learner

Can a Sub Account Admin post an announcement to course?

Jump to solution

Hello Community!  I feel as though this should be an easy answer, but I am struggling. Smiley Sad (New admin here.)  Our Instructional Deans (who are Sub Account Admins) want to be able to post an announcement within select courses. (Let's say that the instructor will be absent and has not posted an announcement.) It appears that the global announcement would go to the entire division, but we would like to only reach out to select courses and/or sections. What am I missing? Is this possible? 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
carpenter
Learner

@kona ,  @kmeeusen & Community, Turns out it was a permission thing. The "discussion - moderate" permission needs to be enabled for the +Announcement to appear at the course-level for the Sub Account Admin. This same permission allows the Global Announcement to work. I never dreamed a "discussion" permission would have an effect on announcements. Turns out it does! Smiley Happy  Thanks for your help! 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@carpenter , hey there! Nice seeing you in the Community! If the sub-account admin doesn't want the announcement to go to everyone in that sub-account, then they would need to go into each specific course and add an announcement - like a regular course announcement. In general, the global announcements really can't be finessed so that they only go to certain courses/people, etc. 

Have a great day! Kona

Thanks  @kona ‌, that's what I imagined. What threw me off was when I masqueraded as one of our Sub Account Admins to see what options he had, the +Announcement was not available to him (or me in that role). Evidently it was a "masquerade" thing? 

@kona & Community! Yes, me again. I had one of our Sub Account Admins attempt to post an announcement within an active course and the +Announcement was not available. 

While I'm here, I also had her attempt to post a Global Announcement for her sub account. She was able to go through the "motions",  but it did not publish. 

What am I missing? 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'd start by checking the permissions you gave this sub-account role - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10895-canvas-admin-guide-table-of-contents#jive_content_id_... 

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @carpenter   and  @kona ‌

This is bug that we have noticed with our own sub-account admins - last week we spent hours with one of them trying to get her able to post either sub-account level or course level announcement posting with absolutely no luck.

Then, just today I tried again, and that functionality is available. My sub-account admins are rolling their eyes thinking we don't know what we are doing.

I would suggest submitting a support ticket, and being very insistent that it is not expected behavior.

Kelley

Thanks  @kmeeusen !  Good to know! I will do that. 

carpenter
Learner

@kona ,  @kmeeusen & Community, Turns out it was a permission thing. The "discussion - moderate" permission needs to be enabled for the +Announcement to appear at the course-level for the Sub Account Admin. This same permission allows the Global Announcement to work. I never dreamed a "discussion" permission would have an effect on announcements. Turns out it does! Smiley Happy  Thanks for your help! 

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you for following up and letting us know what the fix was! Glad to hear it was just a permissions thing! 🙂

Kona