Canvas Permission Updates

Instructure
Instructure
47 10 11.9K

Hello Canvas Admins!

We appreciate all of the feedback we've received regarding the need for better communication of permission updates.

This purpose of this document is to inform you of any updates or changes that are made to the Canvas Course Role Permissions PDF and Canvas Account Role Permissions PDF documents. We will specify which permission was updated and what specifically changed with the permission. We typically publish updates to the permission documents on production release days, when necessary. Occasionally, we may publish updates in between release cycles.

The most recent update(s) will always be listed at the top of this document.

Subscribe to this document if you want to receive update notifications. We will continue to do our best to provide the most accurate information, but as always, please let us know if you find any inconsistencies.

2020-06-20

Changed "Pages - add / edit / delete" permission name to "Manage Pages - create / delete / update"

Added new granular permissions under Manage Pages heading

Pages - Create

• Role: Account, Course
  • Added permissions information

Pages - Delete

Pages - Update

For more information, please see Canvas Release Notes (2020-06-20) 

2020-05-09

Learning Outcomes - add / edit / delete

• Additional Considerations: Added To import learning outcomes, Learning Outcomes - import must also be enabled.

For more information, please see Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-05-09) 

Course State - manage

• Features Affected: Added Dashboard: Determines whether a Publish button is included in a course card for an unpublished course (Card View Dashboard).

For more information, please see Ready Release Notes (2020-04-25) 

• Role: Account
  • Features Affected: Removed Rubrics: Determines visibility and management of Rubrics tab in the account navigation.

For more information, please see Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-04-18) 

Sub-Account Permissions and Settings

• Updated list of permissions not available for subaccounts
    • Added Admin Tools - Logging (in Statistics - view)
    • Removed Courses - view change logs
    • Removed Grades - view change logs

Courses - view change logs

• Additional Considerations: Removed section

Grades - view change logs

• Additional Considerations: Removed Subaccounts section

2020-04-18

Assignments and Quizzes - add / edit / delete

• Additional Considerations: In Rubrics, removed However, if Learning Outcomes - add / edit / delete is enabled, user can still add rubrics via Outcomes (Manage Rubrics button).

• Roles: Account, Course
  • Features Affected: Removed Rubrics: Allows user to manage rubrics
  • Additional Considerations: Under Feature heading, removed and Rubrics. In Related Information, removed and hides the Manage Rubrics button. User can still access individual assignment rubrics through Assignments. Added To allow the Course Outcomes page as read-only, this permission can be disabled but Course Content - view must be enabled.

Learning Outcomes - import

• Features Affected: Removed and Rubrics
  • What it Does: Changed import learning outcomes to rubrics to import learning outcomes
  • Additional Considerations: Removed section

Rubrics - add / edit / delete

• Feature: Added Rubrics: Allows user to view the Rubrics link in Course Navigation.
  • Additional Considerations: Removed If this permission is disabled, users can still create or add rubrics to assignments if Assignments and Quizzes - add / edit / delete is enabled. Added Users can access and create (but not edit) individual assignment rubrics through Assignments when Course Content - view and Assignments and Quizzes - add / edit / delete are enabled.

For more information, please see the Rubrics feature in Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18)

2020-02-15

Conversations - send to individual course members

• Additional Considerations: Added Additionally, when disabled, students cannot send individual messages to students who belong to the same course-level (or account-level) groups.

2020-01-18

Course Content - add / edit / delete

• What it Does: Added Assignments, Calendar, Discussions, and Pages entries

For more information, please see the Direct Share feature in Canvas Release Notes (2020-01-18)

2019-12-21

Users - moderate content

• Added permission information

For more information, please see Canvas Release Notes (2019-12-21)

2019-12-18

Courses - view usage reports

• What it Does: removed Student Interactions reports
  • Additional Considerations: Added Reports: To access the Student Interactions report, Grades - view all grades must also be enabled.

Grades - view all grades

• Roles: Account, Course
  • Additional Considerations: Added Reports: To access the Student Interactions report, Courses - view usage reports must also be enabled.

For more information, please see Canvas Deploy Notes (2019-12-18) 

2019-12-04

Grades - edit

• What it Does: in Quizzes, added View the quiz statistics page

Grades - view all grades

• What it Does: in Quizzes, updated description as Allows user to view student results, view quiz statistics, and access a quiz in SpeedGrader.

Courses - add / edit / delete

• Additional Considerations: Changed Modules to Course Content; updated description as To manage course content, Course Content - add / edit / delete must be enabled

Courses - change visibility

• Role: Course

For more information, please see Canvas Deploy Notes (2019-12-04) 

Sub-Account Permissions and Settings

• Updated list of permissions not available for subaccounts
    • Added Admin Tools - Logging (in Statistics - view)
    • Added Course - view change logs
    • Added Grades - view change logs

For the following admin permissions, added Not available at the subaccount level:

• Statistics - view
  • Users - manage login details
  • Catalog - manage
  • Course - view change logs
  • Grades - view change logs
  • Grades - edit
  • Grades - view all grades
  • Users - view list
10 Comments
Community Member

Thank you for providing this.  We look forward to seeing more permission settings moving forward.

One of the biggest permission issue for us is that the area admin rights take priority over the course rights.  This makes it impossible for our employees to take courses.  In higher education where we encourage this of our employees, it becomes a major issue.

We would like the Course Rights to take priority over the admin rights. 

Community Team
Community Team

Hi,

This document is just to report the permissions, so to get some traction on that idea, I'd recommend you take a look at this feature idea about permissions​. It needs to be fleshed out more with specifics, and so people have been adding a lot of comments. I think you could add some good insight there for what you'd like to see with course rights and see what others have to say as well!

Erin

Surveyor

Yes! We need to make the permissions more specific so that we can allow some people access to items and not others.

Dr. John Boekenoogen
University of Oklahoma

Community Team
Community Team

Hi, all,

If you haven't visited our Canvas Studio page lately, you may want to see Priority: Granular Permissions. Our product team would like feedback with what permissions are needed for granularity, so we'd love your input!

Thank you,

Erin

Surveyor

Does anyone think that Instructure will pull a part the Edit/View/Delete throughout their infrastructure? 

Community Member

Yes, that is Phase 2 of the Permissions Project. Phase 1 was to redesign the Permission Page UI to be able to handle the changes coming in Phase 2.

You can see more information on the Permissions at https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/priority-granular-permissions 

Explorer III

cms_hickss‌ Thanks for keeping us all up to date on this. john.r.boekenoogen-1@ou.edu‌, as Susan said, it's on the road map to separate the Edit/View/Delete functions. When you go to the Priority: Granular Permissions‌ page, you'll see a link to Canvas Permissions and Granularity Feature Ideas‌. That shows the break down of the various permissions, what to separate, and the vote count.  I'm not sure what the exact updates will be, but any movement in the direction of more granularity will make life much easier for many of us. It's exciting to see all of this unfold. 

Adventurer

erinhallmark‌ 

I just saw that this page Canvas Permission Updates was updated to include some updated permissions that were included in the 1/18 release.  I see them on production, but I don't see them listed on the release notes Canvas Release Notes (2020-01-18) anywhere.  Am I missing something?  

I'm super excited to see the potential new granularity, I just wanted to find where they were documented in the release notes.  If I hadn't been following this page I wouldn't have known about it since now I may need to adjust the permissions on a few roles due to this change.  

Thanks, 

Joni

Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Joni,

That update is related to the direct share functionality. I apologize for not specifically mentioning that detail in the updates document and will get it clarified!

Thanks,

Erin

Adventurer

Thank you!  Smiley Happy