Change to course search functionality

Jump to solution
tdelillo
Community Champion

We recently noticed a change when searching for courses. Previously, if you searched for a course using the exact course name (for example, ENGL-1302-125), you got a list of courses with that name (we re-use sections, and have been on Canvas for 3.5 years, so even a search that precise can yield multiple hits). Now when we use the same search, we get anything that starts with ENGL-1302, and the most relevant results aren't even at the top of the list:

88781_pastedImage_0.png

I submitted a ticket and was told to add a space to the end, to get only ENGL-1302-125 courses. And that, without the space, the search is working "as intended", revealing all the courses that a person MIGHT be searching for if they didn't know the exact section. After a lot of back and forth, where I explained that this was a step backward, and could not get anyone to acknowledge that this is a recent development, I got the "Please submit this as a feature request" end game.

Can someone save my sanity by confirming that you didn't used to have to put a space at the end of a search string to execute a search for an exact match? Keep in mind I'm talking about course search only. User searches have always returned imprecise results.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

@Robbie_Grant - We never got any confirmation that others were experiencing this bug, and Canvas Support never pursued it further since there was the easy workaround of adding the space at the end of the search string. The behavior persisted for.ever. but I just tried it again (because I'm comparing course searches in Prod and Beta) and it is now mysteriously healed. So, the question was never really answered, but (for now) it is no longer relevant.

View solution in original post