cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Learner II

Changing a user's title

Jump to solution

Is there a way to change a user's title?

I have a user who is no longer the department chair and he asked how he could remove it from his profile page. I didn't know how he could do it. I also have not been able to make the change for him. I assume the title was created from HR records when Canvas created our instance. Since jobs have a way of changing I think it may be a task that will need to be done it the future, as well as for this individual. I searched Community responses and questions and was not able to find how to change the teachers title to remove the chair from his title as requested.

Thanks for any help and apologies if it is here somewhere and I couldn't locate the information.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

More than likely, it was added as part of his user entry via a SIS upload, which typically means you cannot change/override it via the UI. What you likely will need to do, is create a CSV file with his new information, and upload it via the SIS Upload feature, which should set his information the way you want it.

IE: create a "users.csv" file with only one line in it for that user's intended information, per the formatting on this page: SIS Import Format Documentation - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation

Set the "status" column as "active" and then upload it via the admin panel.

You could also likely do this via the API, but the CSV method will be the easiest if you haven't messed with the APIs before.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Community Member

More than likely, it was added as part of his user entry via a SIS upload, which typically means you cannot change/override it via the UI. What you likely will need to do, is create a CSV file with his new information, and upload it via the SIS Upload feature, which should set his information the way you want it.

IE: create a "users.csv" file with only one line in it for that user's intended information, per the formatting on this page: SIS Import Format Documentation - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation

Set the "status" column as "active" and then upload it via the admin panel.

You could also likely do this via the API, but the CSV method will be the easiest if you haven't messed with the APIs before.

View solution in original post

Thanks Nicholas. I was thinking that was the case, but was hoping that there might be something else I could do.

Thank you for your reply.