cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Create roles/permissions at the course level

I would like for Canvas admins or instructors to be able to create and manage roles and permissions for individual courses.  Many of our courses are used as Communities of Practice or Professional Development courses for our faculty.  We have all of these courses in a specific sub-account, but I'm finding more and more of a need to have specialized roles and/or permissions for single courses.  Is anyone else seeing a need for this?  Or is there a fix for this?

6 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

At this point, roles can only be created at the account or subaccount level.  If each class really does need a completely unique set of permissions for its roles, then you're either going to have quite a few roles, or need to move each course to a separate subaccount and set the permissions there.

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Hi there, jcrawford@oconee.k12.sc.us‌, 

There is that, to an extent. The How do I set permissions for a course-level role in an account? shows you can make as many course level roles as you want, and customize the permissions that way. I know the Development Team is looking to make permissions more granular on a person by person basis. (if you have some extra time for extra-curricular reading, cms_hickss‌ did an insanely good blog on this topic from our Khaki meet https://community.canvaslms.com/people/cms_hickss/blog/2017/06/22/lets-talk-more-granular-userrole-p... ) 

Highlighted

And jcrawfo@umich.edu‌, if you have a specific scenario/user case story for course level roles and granularity please leave them on either my blog post or on the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-6253-canvas-permissions-and-granularity-feature-ideas  document. 

Highlighted
Surveyor

After talking to our users I've found that they are adding colleagues to their courses as "Teacher" roles to have full course access for whatever reasons (online observation, resource sharing, etc). However, this could create some course role confusion (such as for admin course walk-throughs, etc) when it could appear as if there is a co-teaching situation when, in fact, there none.

To help clear this up I created a clone of the Teacher role and named it "Collaborator." This allows teachers to enroll colleagues in their courses with full Teacher privs but without having anyone see another person listed as Teacher leaving the true teacher with that title role for the course. 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

jcrawford@oconee.k12.sc.us,

We are giving the Canvas Admins area a little bit of love (especially questions that are really, really old) and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I looked through the mockups of the Granular Permissions Designs recently; and I'm hopeful we will be able to more intuitively control ALL areas of Canvas moving forward.  

Labels