cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer III

District Calendar

A teacher asks, " Are you going to put District dates and such on the canvas calendar or is that all entered by me?" 

Does this mean as an admin that I have a responsibility to create a district calendar? Still a rookie, here. Have looked at several conversations, but not getting the answer I need.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
13 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

rislis@holmen.k12.wi.us‌,

We developed a county resource course were all teachers in the county would be enrolled. All county dates should appear on that calendar.

Each school has its own course, for teachers, the principals can post all school dates on that calendar.

Following up the chain of command, all central office people can be enrolled in the individual schools course and see how all the dates fall, while avoiding the teachers becoming overwhelmed from seeing events that are not relevant to them.

I find it helpful to export the Calendar into my google calendar, which is now on all of my devices. When my admin team has 'assignments' for the teachers we can read the details on any device I have my google calendar just like our students see our assignments. 

We have some academies/programs within our school that need to coordinate due dates between multiple classes (for example making sure there aren't major assessments in history and math for students within the IB program). This is slightly more complex, but not impossible. Our coordinator would be enrolled in all the program courses, export that canvas calendar containing all the participating courses events into a google calendar then publish that calendar and post it onto our school website. Then all students can view that website to see upcoming events, teachers could subscribe/be invited into the coordinators google calendar to make sure students have a balanced amount of homework/major assessments. 

Highlighted
Surveyor II

I've read through the comments, and I agree with a lot of what I've read. We don't put our school calendar events in Canvas for a lot of the reasons listed above. I usually recommend that any teacher who wants to see all of their Canvas items and the school items together pull those separate feeds into a Google Calendar or iCal. 

Now we do have "courses" for faculty/staff and students. These courses serve as ways for us to communicate directly to those groups of people with announcements, discussions, and dates such as when PL sessions are being offered for teachers and when scholarships deadlines are for students. These are the kind of items that you wouldn't see on our school-wise calendar, but they make sense to put on the Canvas calendar for those groups. 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

rislis@holmen.k12.wi.us,

We are giving the Canvas Admins area a little bit of love (especially questions that are really, really old) and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Highlighted
Surveyor

Whether or not you have that responsibility as Admin is a policy issue.  In our district, neither district nor school-level calendar items are pushed out to student Canvas calendars.  As a teacher, I don't want them there. Doing that would make student calendars too crowded for practical use.