Due Date Dilemma

Jump to solution
shouts
Community Novice

I have a due date dilemma I need advice on. We had an assignment where the student had issues with her assignment not showing up in SpeedGrader. The instructor insisted the student resubmit the assignment. So, because the assignment was TII enabled, resubmissions couldn't be made after the due date. I tried giving the student her own due date through Canvas' Edit Assignment Settings so she could resubmit, but that didn't work. I was able to change the due date for the entire class through Edit Assignment Settings in Canvas. I don't understand why I was able to change the due date for the entire class using Canvas' settings, but I couldn't give one student her own due date. I opened a ticket with Canvas, and they are insisting that Turnitin overrides Canvas settings. Well, if that's the case, why was I able to change the assignment's due date? The new due date didn't come from Turnitin settings, but Canvas settings. It's clear I'm not going to get any clarification from Canvas, so any insight from the admin community would be appreciated.

Thanks, Sarah

1 Solution
crafte
Community Champion

Hi  @shouts ​, when you enter a due date on the Canvas assignment, this date is transferred to the Turnitin due date setting. The Turnitin settings only allow one due date while the Canvas settings allow you to enter multiple due dates. Since Turnitin allows only one due date any additional due dates for individual students cannot be transferred. The Canvas assignment due date you enter for the whole class can be edited and it will in turn connect to the Turnitin settings page and alter the due date in that location as well. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post