Google Hangouts Meet LTI

Instructure
Instructure
11 20 58.3K

If you would like to connect with students using Google Hangouts Meet as your conferencing tool, you have the ability to add a Hangout to your Canvas Course, Course Announcement, Module or via Calendar. The Google Hangouts Meet will start when you join and will run until all users leave. You do not have to update the link to start a new session. When you’re ready for your next class to start, the same link will create a new Google Hangouts Meet.

Note - Google Hangouts Meet will launch in a new tab, and if students are on a mobile device they will need the Google Hangouts Meet app, or can call in to participate via phone.

Google is giving free access to their advanced Hangouts Meet video-conferencing capabilities to all G Suite and G Suite for Education customers globally through July 2020. These advanced features include: 

• Larger meetings, for up to 250 participants per call
  • Live streaming for up to 100,000 viewers within a domain 
  • The ability to record meetings and save them to Google Drive

Go here for more detail on Google support during COVID-19 

Please view Google Meet in Canvas to view or download a copy of the instructions below.

342686_Google Meet LTI in Canvas_pg 1.png

342688_Google Meet LTI in Canvas_pg 2.png

342689_Google Meet LTI in Canvas_pg 3.png

342690_Google Meet LTI in Canvas_pg 4.png

342691_Google Meet LTI in Canvas_pg 5.png

342692_Google Meet LTI in Canvas_pg 6.png

Tags (1)
20 Comments
Community Member

I followed these instructions and when I had a student log in and try it, the g.co link converted into a link at hangouts.google.com instead of meet.google.com, so they couldn't get into the classroom.  She has a ymail account (not G Suite), but I have a G Suite account configured to use Meet.  When I send her the Meet URL it resolves to, she can get into the classroom by copying and pasting that link, but the link in the example above doesn't work for the Canvas integration.  Any ideas how this can be fixed?

Instructure
Instructure

Hi Laura, 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Here is a solution from our friends at Google: 

• Alias meeting urls (g.co/meet/xyz) can only be used by people in the same domain. 
  • If the user/student is in a different domain (or in this user's case, @gmail.com) it will not work. 
  • To avoid this, the instructor could/should post the actual meet.google.com/xxx-xxx-xxx url after it's generated by going to g.co/meet/xyz
eg, the g.co/meet/xyz link will resolve to a url like this. just copy and paste the meet.google.com/zuq-hrvh-ppi part
Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 3.51.38 PM.png
when the meeting creator/instructor joins the meeting, they are shown this screen. it suggests sharing the actual Meet link (not g.co/) with other users
Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 3.50.59 PM.png
Community Member

I followed these instructions to create a google meet URL with canvas but when I press on the link that I have created it gives me an error code shown in this picture " There is a problem connecting to this video call. Try again in a few minutes". I do not believe that my institution got a G suite account, is it needed in order to use this feature?

341866_Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 4.21.58 PM.png

Instructure
Instructure

Hi Stephanie, 

Unfortunately, you will need a G Suite account. Only G Suite accounts can start Google Meet meetings. 
Community Member

How can I add Hangouts/Google Meet in Canvas Free for Teacher?

Community Member

Hi Katie! We had been using this, but now people are getting this error: {"errors":{"jwt":[{"attribute":"jwt","type":"JWT verification failure","message":"JWT verification failure"}]}}

Any insight?

Adventurer

Correction: Hangouts Meet is now in FFT.

Hangouts Meet FFT

Community Member

Hi kvargo‌.

We installed Canvas from Bitnami.

But there is nothing in the Inherited keys, empty.

Please help add the key manually.

343442_pastedImage_1.png

Thanks.

Lamplighter II

We have Meet set up so students can only join, but not create. One problem in using Meet is that students can rejoin any meeting if they have the direct link or meeting code even if the organizer has left. So, we've coached teachers on using a room nickname and doing their best to avoid sharing the meeting code. With this LTI, can students rejoin meetings after the fact by clicking on th meeting code in the assignment, event, etc?

Surveyor

What Brian said above was going to be my question. The biggest concern I've heard from HS teachers is students getting into a "ended" Google Meet and doing something that they shouldn't be doing and then the teacher being responsible because they "created" the space. You can imagine the liability concerns. I never do video conferences in my online hybrid class and until this gets figured out I don't plan on changing that. 

Adventurer

I have had this same concern; looks like Google is addressing it, along with some other things. See in this document where it says:

Participants will not be able to re-join a meeting after the final participant has left if:

• The meeting was created using a short link like g.co/meet/nickname

The question is, how do we get a nickname for a meeting if we are using the Google Meet LTI?

G Suite Updates Blog: Hangouts Meet improvements for remote learning 

Lamplighter II

We probably won't end up turning this on because most of our staff are using the nickname method directly. 

Adventurer

Are they doing this by creating the meeting on the fly? Because as I understand it, you can't get a nickname by using the Google Calendar method, either.

Community Member

In the same boat using the open source version.

Zoom integration was great. Had a doc and everything but now the client doesn't want to continue with zoom because of vulnerabilities. 

I'm having a hard time finding documentation for setting up google meet developer key. We don't have an inherited tab.

1. Does such a document exist?

2. Is Canvas allowing the open source users version this opportunity?

3. Am I missing something? Is it easier than i'm making it out to be? 

Thanks in advance!

Community Member

I know I'm late to the party but I wanted to give Canvas a chance to update this documentation but it seems they won't as I pointed out the issue in April.

You are unsure if this takes advantage of meeting nicknames. That's understandable since

Canvas doesn't seem to understand how it works either. The second sentence of page two of their PDF doc states that students won't be able to join and that they must all leave for the meeting to end. No, that is how meet.google.com nicknames work that someone seems to have just copiedandpastad into the docs. This implementation is using the Google Calendar API to make meetings as there is no Meet API. The Google Calendar API doesn't support nicknames.

If you are K-12 don't touch this. Maybe now they'll update the documentation...

Adventurer

Thank you for this; this is exactly what I figured and it's nice to have the confirmation.

Surveyor

How does one set up individual google meets for group assignments in Canvas?

Surveyor

I am having an issue with students logging in to the google meet too soon and being on the app without me.  Is there a way to add google meet as an external submission tool so that it could stay locked until time for the meet? Or is there a waiting room for google meet that yall have seen? 

Surveyor

@ kvargo or Canvas: Please update this blog, using the feedback from others. With most/many schools 100% online for part of their instruction, it would be very helpful to integrate the functionality of "Meet" (no Hangouts any longer) through the LTI with Canvas.  As others have mentioned, simply being the last person in the Meet and then Leaving, does not end the Meet for all.  It would be helpful to either point to the Google documentation (that refers to same-domain functionality [like Nicknames] that can be helpful, cross-domain/out of domain functionality that requires "knocking") or include it in the updated blog post.  What is very important to K-12 at this time, is the clarity of the ability for students to return to the link, "uninvited or unsupervised" and if/when using the Canvas Meet LTI allows for this.

Thank you.

Surveyor II

Hello everyone, we run a Japanese and UK School. We need the Gmeet link to be added in the users language. This is not currently working. When a Japanese member of staff adds a link it is added in English (even if their browser, the course language and their user language) is set to Japanese. Just wondered if anyone else had come across this? Also we are also wondering how to add individual tutorials using Gmeet! Thanks