cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Have there been times when "Act as User" incorrectly showed your user's view?

I recently had something come up where, when I "acted as user," I had a different view than what the user was seeing. 

I was thinking that it might be useful to share with one another if there have been other instances so that we have a shared resource when we are trying to troubleshoot as an Admin using this tool.

Please use this space to share times when you also have had a different view in "act as user" than what the user was actually seeing. You may also respond to people's posts if you know of any solutions to the behavior that is being witnessed.

For the first post, I will give more details about the behavior I saw that led me to create this discussion.

Looking forward to sharing this information with one another!

18 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

I had a different view when I was in the user's account settings.

When I was in "Act as User," I could see a checkmark next to a new email under Ways to Contact. When I clicked on the checkmark, I could confirm the email address. However, the user did not see a checkmark next to the unconfirmed email.

**I realize that an email is also sent to an user to confirm an email address. The email wasn't working so I was looking for a work around.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Just to clarify, was the user using the same browser and same browser version that you used?

Highlighted

I don't know about the first user that first identified the problem, but I then tested it with another non-admin user and that was with the same browser/browser version as when I was "acting as user."

Highlighted

I am not sure if this will help.

I have found that with any LMS, the only way to be sure what a student sees is to have a bogus student login so that I can actually be a student, and see things exactly as a student does.  The "student views" in every LMS are not 100% accurate.

Highlighted

Thanks for that idea, Rick! 

I use a bogus login account as well, but I have also been generally pleased with the "act as user" feature and it is a bit easier than logging into that fake account, especially if you are trying to see what a specific account is viewing.

Part of why I wanted to bring this conversation up was because I was aware that this kind of feature in any LMS is not 100% and I thought it would be useful to share the times that Canvas specifically might not work!

Highlighted

caroline_foley@williamjames.edu, we’ve had issues with this, especially for the Inbox. We contacted Canvas Support and they stated what richard-jerz@uiowa.edu basically said. The only way to be 100% sure is to create an alternate login for the student and then login as the actual student. In general and for most things we use the Act As User, butnif it’s really important or involves the Inbox we create the alternate login. 

Kona

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply, kona@richland.edu! Yes, I agree that the only way to be 100% sure is to create an alternate login, but, as you say, Act as User, is a great tool that is generally pretty accurate. 

When you said that you had issues with the Inbox, was it anything to do with the Inbox or were there particular instances?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The problem was that when we did Act as User we weren’t seeing what was really in the student’s Inbox. This had to do with an accusation of harassment so we needed to know for 100% sure that we were seeing exactly what the student was seeing/what they had in their Inbox. 

Does that help?

Highlighted

Yes, thank you for explaining more!

Labels