cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

How Do You Use Global Announcements?

OpenForVoting.jpgHow do you all use the Canvas Dashboard?  We use it almost every week to post thing like:

• Canvas beta/production release notes
  • LTI tools that we've enabled at the Account level for everyone
  • How-to Guides
  • Info about up-coming graduation
  • Contests for our faculty

Also, while I'm certainly no graphics artist, I came up with this little banner to post tomorrow morning on our Canvas Dashboard with some info on how voting works.  The "OPEN" sign was just a *.png file I found by searching Google.  Nothing fancy...but it works.

So, what kinds of stuff do you display on your Canvas Dashboard for instructors/students?

40 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

We don't use the dashboard at all, so I'm curious what your voting now - or something similar - looks like on your Canvas dashboard. Would you mind sharing a screen shot? Where do you go in Canvas to add this information? Also, just curious, can you limit who sees this on the dashboard to teachers or does everyone see what you add to the dashboard.

snugent
Lamplighter II

Nice banner and great idea! I don't use the Dashboard as much as I probably should. One thing that holds me back from using it more is the editor is not as fully functional as it is everywhere else.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Ah, I think snugent​ may have answered my question.  @chofer  are you referring to adding a global announcement? If so, then we try not to that very often. My thought was the more often we use it the less likely people are to actually pay attention to it. We had the ability to do something like this in Angel and students tended to ignore it. Do you not find that to be true?

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I agree about editing announcements, and I'll be voting for that idea.

snugent
Lamplighter II

Yes  @kona ​ that was my thinking too. I like  @chofer ​'s idea. I'm having hard time getting people involved in the Canvas community and something like this may help.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yup...Global Announcements on the Canvas Dashboard.  Maybe I should have been more clear on that.

We don't have a lot of data to determine if our announcements are valuable or not.  I just added one more idea to my original post on holding contests.  In our latest contest, we gave away a Canvas t-shirt we had gotten from Instructure.  In the contest form, we had asked people to rate (on a scale of 1 to 10...10 being best) how valuable our announcements were.  Only four people entered the contest, and we had ratings of 6, 9, 6, and 10.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Well... how large is your student (or faculty) population? If you say 10 then you're response rate isn't that bad... Smiley Wink

In general if I send an email out to faculty (or students) via Canvas I normally get around a 35-40% response rate. I figure that's pretty good, but I'm always looking for better way to communicate new and updated information to faculty.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Here's an example of what we've got posted right now. It's to encourage students to provide feedback on their courses. It's linked into our single sign-on so if students click on the link they get logged in automatically.

globalmessage.png

We do something else similar to this for the beginning of the semester except it's a reminder about when courses will open to students (first day of class) and that they have to complete the mandatory student orientation - and we link to the orientation.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Here's an announcement I just posted this morning.  I typically post the beta release notes on Tuesday mornings after they are released on Monday nights.  I usually time them so that it runs through Sunday evening...then next Tuesday I'll post the Production Release notes and Deactivated user's video.

announcement.jpg