How can I map Banner XML based events to Canvas fields?

Jump to solution
morgan_j
Community Participant

We are using real-time integration between our Canvas and Banner SIS using the Luminis Message Broker.  This is working well for us except for one item:  when a "person" event is sent from Banner to Canvas and it creates a new user in the system, it is pulling the users <id> field instead of the users <userid> field.  What this means for us is when an instructor is viewing their class roster within their course, for the "SIS ID" column they are seeing a 4 to 6 digit number which means nothing to them, instead of seeing the 9 digit student id # which is what they need to see. 

Wondering if anyone knows if it possible, as an admin, to somehow map this field in Canvas so that it uses the <userId> element in the XML event instead of the <id> element?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Hi  @Robbie_Grant ‌.  I apologize for not updating this thread.  We had quick conference call with our Canvas account rep, and were basically told that there is no way for Canvas to change anything on their end to map these fields.  We were told that we would need to move to ILP integration which would give us the ability to configure the mapping as we would like.  Here are a few notes that I took from the meeting:  Thank you for reminding me of the need to update this thread!

• ILP integration may launch in Fall
    • This is something that would integrate with Ellucian, would be configurable and able to be modified.
    • ILP gives us the capability to map on the Canvas end.
    • Grade pass-back on the roadmap with the ILP.
    • Last date of attendance - discussions are happening, but nothing on the roadmap as of yet.

View solution in original post