cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
natalie_norton1
Community Member

How to handle old staff accounts/cleardown processes

Hi

I am hoping someone might be able to share how they handle closing staff accounts when they leave? 

My initial testing, and feedback from support, indicates that if you remove a staff account it would also remove all associated annotations, feedback etc.  We obviously need to avoid that as we need to keep a definitive record of feedback given.

We also don't want to keep all staff accounts open forever! We have quite a lot of visiting lecturers who may only be with us for one semester.

Would be grateful for any policies or processes anyone could share

Thanks, Natalie

Tags (1)
3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@natalie_norton1 , We don't delete accounts for the reason you mention. What we do is on the back-end of our SIS (not Canvas) we deactivate the person's account. This means that they couldn't log into Canvas even if they wanted. Otherwise we do leave their account in Canvas.

abunag
Surveyor

Like Kona, we have all of our Canvas accounts tied to our Active Directory for authentication, so when we disable the user in AD, they can't log in and we can leave the account for archival purposes.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@natalie_norton1 ,

We are giving the Canvas Admins area a little bit of love (especially questions that are really, really old) and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie