Is there a way to add default emails on a large scale?

tdelillo
Community Champion

Due to a process that was not tested or discussed with the functional admins (but I'm not bitter), we have thousands of user accounts with incomplete information, including email addresses that are missing the @whateverfollows.edu (so if the student's email should be ssmith25@student.alamo.edu, if only has ssmith25 in the email field). When the students in question register for classes, their correct email address comes into Canvas from Banner, but does not become the default - the invalid address remains the default. This causes issues with notifications and access to LTIs that require a valid email address.

Can anyone think of a way to fix this in a batch? I have a provisioning report of users, filtered for the accounts that have the corrupt addresses. I am thinking that using that report to create a users.csv import file with the email addresses corrected might work to push in valid addresses in cases where they're not there at all, but I don't think it will make them the default email address.

I don't work with APIs (and our programmer support is minimal), but could it maybe be done via API?

I know this might also be a question for the Canvas Developers​ group...