cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Is your institution using the new UI?

We're considering moving to the new UI over Christmas break to minimize disruption for our students. I have a few crowd source questions Smiley Happy

Is your school using the new UI? If so, for how long have you had it turned on?

Can anyone share any pros/cons that have come up in your institution's discussion of this?

We've had it turned off so we're not sure how stable it is at this point.

If it was your choice, would you have moved over when you did? How about now?

Tags (2)
35 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

• You might turn it on in your "test" environment and see if faculty find the changes manageable there.
  • Depending upon how soon the training videos reflect the new UI, and how dependent your users might be on learning how to use Canvas via the videos, you might want to wait until Summer.
  • Few were familiar with the old UI, so changing at the start to the New UI made sense for us.
  • We've had it turned on for a while, with few users, but it does appear to be stable.
  • Once you know the basics of navigating Canvas, where the buttons have moved to is probably minor.
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

asatkins@liberty.edu​, if you haven't already, I'd check out the User Group: New UI​ in the Community. It's got some resources and questions/discussions that might help!

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks Kona, I will wander around there. For the most part that seems to be discussion of pretty specific UI issues/questions, I'm looking for a little more of a conclusion than a dictionary Smiley Happy Have you seen any discussions that are big picture?

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Bill, thanks for your reply.

Our faculty don't use our test environments, unfortunately. It's sort of pulling teeth to even get some of the content chairs to use it Smiley Happy My biggest concern is student experience, and students aren't able to log into the test environments. I guess we can masquerade as them, but we can't always predict the way our students might interact with a new system.

The training videos are a good thought. We do use those in our orientation courses.

For new students, like you say, it's less of an issue because they don't know any different. My bigger concern is the 5,000 some students/parents/teachers who are already active. We're incredibly deeply integrated because we're online-only so all of those obscure features that Canvas might not have moved over yet will hurt us. I guess I'm hoping to find another school who is using a lot of those features and can give me a heads up, lol.

I'm glad to hear that it's feeling stable, the old UI has felt a little unstable recently with the module prereqs acting up, so at least things seem to be looking right in the new UI Smiley Happy

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

You might get a better response to your question if you share it in the User Group: New UI​ area because pretty much everyone over there is using or getting ready to use the new UI. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Member

Good thought Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Member

Yep, I officially do not see how to share it to that group. I see all the mentions, but I am not seeing it. I think I've even done it before on the K-12 group... but I don't remember how to do it.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

You should have a "Share" link on the upper right side of the page for this Discussion. If you click on it you should be able to type in "New UI" and have the "User Group: New UI" group show up. If you can't get it to work let me know and I can share it for you!

Highlighted
Community Member

There we go. I thought I was able to do it before from the group page, I must have dreamed that Smiley Happy Thanks Kona!