cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer III

Multiple SIS imports into a single Canvas Instance

We have more than one unit (sub account) on our campus that utilizes a separate SIS system from the other units.

Currently we appoint an SIS admin for the unit and allow them to upload the SIS update; that is being done via the UI.

Given the problems that could arise from inadvertently checking the "

I am looking for anyone who has faced a similar situation to share the approach that has been taken to address the situation.

3 Replies
Community Member

We haven't dealt with this particular situation in our environment, but if we were to have to handle this, I'd solve it via the API.

The best way to restrict people from making bad choices (checking batch update box) would be to restrict them from being able to make the bad choice. I'd recommend setting up a rudimentary web app that allows the permitted users to upload SIS files to their appropriate sub-account (and only their appropriate sub-account). You can then set configuration options that will apply to each sub-account-admin's uploads, effectively forcing the right choices to be made each time in the background. Then you'd take away their ability to do SIS uploads via the UI (pretty sure that's a permissions option you can set for their role at the sub-account level), leaving the only people who can do SIS uploads as the super-admin / root admin (i think).

The pieces/parts you'd have to consider are:

It'll take some development, but i can't think of another way to be able to restrict things to ensure no one screws up the entire environment. Happy to provide other information if you need some clarification on any of these points.

Adventurer III

At Harvard we have about a dozen separate registrars for the schools within the university, each with their own SIS.  The majority of these schools share a single Canvas instance (and in the past shared a single instance of our pre-Canvas LMS).

Our approach has been to aggregate the course and enrollment data from all of our schools into a single database, and to feed Canvas (and a few other systems) from there.  This removes any chance that one school could accidentally step on other schools' data, and allows us to ensure that courses and enrollments are being fed into Canvas in a consistent fashion. 

Community Coach
Community Coach

burgessd@umich.edu,

We are giving the Canvas Admins area a little bit of love (especially questions that are really, really old) and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie