cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rturner1
Community Member

Multiple Thin Common Cartridge Files with Different Keys and Secrets

I have multiple Pearson thin common cartridge files that each require a different key and secret. When I load the key and secret at the account (district) level and then try to load the content in a course the course content isn't sure which Key and Secret to use, so nothing ends up working. I have about 10 different products and do not want to have to manually enter the key and secret inside of each course that wants to use the content. How do I go about fixing this problem?

Tags (1)
4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rturner1 ​, we've always had to do it by course, so I'm not sure if there's some type of global work around. Smiley Sad

I'm also going to share this with the Find Answers​ and Canvas Developers​ groups to see if they can help.

rturner1
Community Member

I was afraid of that. There should be some way to do this automatically, especially as we go to more of the Thin Common Cartridge's. Thanks for responding so quickly.

codom
Surveyor

I know this is a bit late..but here's my workflow that I'm working on to mitigate this issue:

1. Unpack the cartridge in a sample course.

2. Move (using the course copy API (for now)) the cartridge to the courses that would use the cartridge. 

3. Use the API to find the external tool that cartridge creates and edit the LTI key and secret. 

In effect, I'm doing this manually...but automating my manual workflow via the API so that I'm not doing it so many times. In my test cases, it seems to have worked...we'll test on a larger group soon. (BTW--I'm using Postman to do this, as I'm not a big coder)...hope this is helpful to anyone who may have this issue.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rturner1 ,

We are giving the Canvas Admins area a little bit of love (especially questions that are really, really old) and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie