New Canvas feature - View Ungraded as Zero - What are your thoughts?

rpsimon
Community Contributor

I'm the Canvas admin at my school. 

So Canvas will be releasing a new feature on December 19.  This feature is the "View Ungraded as Zero" feature and you can play with it now on your Canvas Beta Site.  Here's a link to the Canvas Release Notes where this feature is explained.  

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Releases/Canvas-Release-Notes-2020-12-19/ta-p/424284

I shared information about this new feature with a fellow teacher.  Her thoughts are below. 

"But still, how does that benefit us?  As a teacher, it just automatically fills in a 0 which is helpful since it then takes off the responsibility from us to make sure that there is a grade and not a blank.  If a teacher is the only one that sees the impact of the 0 getting added, how does that help the student?  Usually, seeing a 0 for an assignment only motivates some students to get them to make up the work.  However, for a bigger majority, it is the drop in their overall GPA for the class (even though they only see that every other week) that pushes them into doing the work.  So, if a teacher sees the change, but not the student, what is the benefit for the students?"

For those of you who are familiar with this, what are your thoughts about this?  I want to make sure that this will benefit our teachers before sharing it with them.

Thanks.

Labels (3)