cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abunag
Surveyor

Silly question - how to tell Turnitin LTI vs API?

Jump to solution

So, I've jumped in to the admin role with several things already set up, and I'm trying to decipher the Turnitin LTI vs API.  I'm aware the API is set to be retired, but I can't seem to figure out how to tell which one is set up in our system.  It appears the turnitin info is under the "Account Settings" page, and not in the normal spot for LTIs, but all my documentation from my predecessor specifically says LTI.

Any help?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@abunag ​, check out this document - Canvas and Turnitin by  @dhulsey  - it's pretty much the official guide to Turnitin in the Community.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@abunag ​, check out this document - Canvas and Turnitin by  @dhulsey  - it's pretty much the official guide to Turnitin in the Community.

View solution in original post

tdelillo
Community Member

I finally got an integration update from Turnitin, and was amazed to see Dallas's guide listed as a resource in the email. So I think it's fair to say it's pretty much official documentation now...

Wow. I did not know that. It seems like they should be cutting me a deal on my Turnitin subscription.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

No kidding! 🙂

Yep,  @dhulsey , I've thought that all along. Smiley Wink

powellj
Surveyor

Did anyone else notice in that email from TII that they state we CAN run both the LTI and API at the same time?

"For those who are wondering, it is possible to run the legacy Canvas integration and Canvas LTI integration in parallel during the transition period. When the previous Canvas integration becomes unavailable, classes and assignments originally created through the previous integration will remain accessible by logging into Turnitin directly. These older classes and assignments will not be visible in the LTI integration."

Absolutely! I'd be lost without your TurnItIn resource. Smiley Wink

They seem to go back and forth on running the API and LTI at once. First, they said it was doable. Then they said it wasn't ok, and now I guess they are saying it is okay again. The bit about the old assignments being available in Turnitin is new too; I assume that means the old assignments will be available to local Turnitin admins?

Anyway, I am not sure I got the email you are quoting, Jacci. The email I received recently from TII focused the interface overhaul they are calling "Feedback Studio."

Hi Dallas,

Here's a copy/paste of the email I got:

Turnitin has recently released a Turnitin Canvas LTI integration, which was developed in partnership with Instructure, the makers of Canvas. This integration is replacing a prior Canvas integration which relied upon a Turnitin developed API.

We are asking that our Canvas users begin to adopt the new Turnitin Canvas LTI integration by the end of 2016. Early adoption is recommended to allow for plenty of time to train end users on the new integration.

With the release of the new Turnitin Canvas LTI integration, we will begin retiring the legacy API which will no longer be available starting in 2017. The only Turnitin-supported route for integration with the Canvas learning management system from January 2017 forward will be the Turnitin Canvas LTI (Learning Tools Interoperability) option. LTI is a standard created by the IMS Global Learning Consortium which aims to establish a standard way of integrating rich learning applications, and many--if not most--integrated solutions are moving in this direction of standardization.

The new Turnitin Canvas LTI integration will give our Canvas users full access to all Turnitin functionality (OriginalityCheck, GradeMark, and PeerMark) and, most importantly, will ensure that our Canvas users receive any new features and fixes as soon as we introduce them into the product. Moving forward, we hope that this will make it easier to administer and use Turnitin for the Canvas community.

For those who are wondering, it is possible to run the legacy Canvas integration and Canvas LTI integration in parallel during the transition period. When the previous Canvas integration becomes unavailable, classes and assignments originally created through the previous integration will remain accessible by logging into Turnitin directly. These older classes and assignments will not be visible in the LTI integration. 

In the near future, the Turnitin Integrations team will be reaching out to each customer directly who has not yet made the transition to the LTI integration to offer support and assistance during the transition.

We urge you to look over the resources we have provided below, which we hope will help to answer the most common questions and address any concerns.

Admin Guides for Canvas Turnitin LTI Integration Set Up:
Admin Guide (provided by Canvas)
Admin Guide (provided by Turnitin)

Other Resources:
Comprehensive Canvas User Blog Post
credit: Dallas Hulsey, Professor, English - Department Chair, New Mexico Junior College

Screencasts:

Canvas (LTI Tool) - Administrator Configuration

Canvas (LTI Tool) - Student User Video

Canvas (LTI Tool) - Instructor User Video

Please contact integrations@turnitin.com to request a separate Turnitin environment to be set up for the purposes of testing the Canvas LTI integration.

Best regards,

Turnitin Integrations Team
integrations@turnitin.com
www.turnitin.com