SpeedGrader permissions fix(?)

Jump to solution
hesspe
Community Champion

A recent email from support says:

"Per our email last Friday, the latest information about the outstanding Gradebook fixes are as follows:

• SpeedGrader permissions fix—complete and awaiting verification in our testing environment before being deployed to production..."

I don't see anything like a SpeedGrader permission listed in either course or admin permissions.  I'd appreciate if someone would clarify for me what that refers to.  

Although it probably doesn't relate to the above, I have for a long time wished for and occasionally asked for, ability to permit TAs to grade online assignment submissions while denying them permission  to see and edit the gradebook.   I've been surprised that in the discussions of permissions granularity, I've not seen anyone else ask specifically for those permissions to be granularized.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
hesspe
Community Champion

Hi  @kona ,

Here's the abbreviated version of Support's response to the ticket I submitted:

"Any User with the New Gradebook feature enabled, and the User has a role with permission to access SpeedGrader, granted by “Grades - view all grades” permission enabled, and the permission “Grades - edit” is disabled (Usually, enabled by default for Teacher and TA roles), was unable to view Assignment Submissions in SpeedGrader, when in the Prod environment, but could view Assignment Submissions in SpeedGrader when in the Test environment of Canvas. "

For the “ Grades - view all grades” permission...

-Assignments, SpeedGrader - Allows user to access SpeedGrader from an assignment.

- Rubrics, SpeedGrader - Allows user to view grader comments on a rubric in SpeedGrader. 

- Gradebook - If both “Grades - edit” and “Grades - view” all grades are disabled, Gradebook will be hidden from the course navigation. 

What's makin' me a little crazy is that I believe that I thoroughly tested "Grades - View All Grades" permission, with "Edit Grades" disabled,  a while back (how long ago, I couldn't say) and it did not allow someone with that permission alone to access SpeedGrader or view the gradebook.  In my testing today in our Production instance, it certainly does.

Anyway.  Onward.

View solution in original post