Speedgrader / Crocodoc sensitive to pdf format variations

Jump to solution
mje
Community Novice

We are experiencing that crocodoc is very sensitive to pdf format variations. Some pdf files are viewed correctly without issues, some pdf format variations have problems with math equations, and some enter a mode of "crocodoc is still processing the document" and never leaves this mode. The latter disables commenting and annotations in crocodoc.

By example, viewing the pdf through a browser it is correctly formatted (although equation isn't perfect):

183797_pastedImage_0.png

Viewing the same file in crocodoc:

183798_pastedImage_1.png

What do you recommend your users to do to work around the limitations in crocodoc?

By example we are using Mathcad for math and physics assignments. Our Mathcad version doesn't support native export to pdf so we print the file to a pdf printer to produce a pdf document. Different pdf printer drivers (adobe, cutepdf, etc) and different settings in the pdf printers seem to cause different results in crocodoc. What are the official recommendations / guidelines from Canvas / Crocodoc?

Kind regards,

Michael

Labels (1)
1 Solution
emily
Community Champion

Ok, Canvas support said "Crocodoc didn't generate the preview correctly. The fast solution is to re-upload the file."

I re-uploaded my file, and it's working fine now. I think the issue might be whether the file was open in another window when I tried to upload it. I had created the PDF, and it opens in Acrobat once it's done. Try closing that file before you upload and see if your results are better.

View solution in original post